• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newsblaze

newsblaze

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:News, computers, the garden, HFRA, bagpipes, Folsom.

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:27 PM

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

Local developer Doug Scalzi is keeping his head and helping drive our economy.

The Folsom Electric Company building at the corner of Scott and Sutter, in the Historic District now has a Sutter Street-level Floor, poured a few days ago. Now we will see real action going on.

I couldn't resist videoing the dodgem cars surfacing the concrete floor.
Economic activity! - check the action!

The buiding should complete around the time the city replaces the street sewer lines in the 600 block.

Alan Gray
Read Folsom news at
http://folsomlocalnews.com
Support Our Troops, Read Their Stories
at http://newsblaze.com

#2 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for that. The storage facility where I park my boat has a bunch of those sitting in a unit near me. I always wondered what they look like in action. They are a strange looking piece of machinery and it's hard to imagine it skimming across the surface like that.

As for the building itself, it looks like it is going to be a nice looking building. However, I think it is too tall for that site. When looking at old Folsom from the Folsom Blvd bridge area, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It even blocks the view of the old historic house (can't remember which one it is) that you could see perched at the top of Sutter St. Four stories may be fine for the lower-end of Sutter St., but is too much for the space this building is in.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (SacKen @ Feb 16 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that. The storage facility where I park my boat has a bunch of those sitting in a unit near me. I always wondered what they look like in action. They are a strange looking piece of machinery and it's hard to imagine it skimming across the surface like that.

As for the building itself, it looks like it is going to be a nice looking building. However, I think it is too tall for that site. When looking at old Folsom from the Folsom Blvd bridge area, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It even blocks the view of the old historic house (can't remember which one it is) that you could see perched at the top of Sutter St. Four stories may be fine for the lower-end of Sutter St., but is too much for the space this building is in.

Just wait until the railroad block is built out. You won't be able to sit at Snooks and watch the sunset any more. You won't be able to see the depot grounds any more from Sutter Street either. or look out at the surrounding bluffs above Lake Natoma.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

That doesn't bother me as much. Old views are lost and new views are created. The new sunset viewing location will move from Snooks to something in the railroad block. The same memories can still be made in the new spot.

My issue is with how the construction fits in with the overall area. The Folsom Electric Co building just seems too tall for that location and, as I said before, makes it stick out rather than mesh with the surroundings. It is also destroying the view of the old house on the hill that stands out like an icon of Old Folsom as you are driving by. That view is not being replaced by an equivalent or better one.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (SacKen @ Feb 16 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That doesn't bother me as much. Old views are lost and new views are created. The new sunset viewing location will move from Snooks to something in the railroad block. The same memories can still be made in the new spot.

My issue is with how the construction fits in with the overall area. The Folsom Electric Co building just seems too tall for that location and, as I said before, makes it stick out rather than mesh with the surroundings. It is also destroying the view of the old house on the hill that stands out like an icon of Old Folsom as you are driving by. That view is not being replaced by an equivalent or better one.

I like the view coming into old town. I like seeing that tall old house (is it Fait's?) as you come into town. It's a shame it will be blocked.

I think the houses to the left of the Rainbow Bridge look really pretty in autumn, too. I don't suppose that will change with all the building.

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (SacKen @ Feb 16 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do realize the building slated for development at the corner of Sutter and Wool (kitty corner from Snooks) will be three stories high, right? That's going to be a very big change for the feeling of Sutter Street.

I am more concerned with the feeling of those on the street itself, rather than those driving on the roads across the river (er, lake).

fyi, there used to be a three story building, shaped very much in massing like the Folsom Electric Co. building, on the 600 block before. In that sense, this building is historically correct.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users