• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Parks

Brad Parks

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

Want to know how much the city spent on the new signs we see erected all over Folsom? Yes, the ones with the font that is too small, and you need to be stopped in order to read them..........that's the ones. Here is what the city spent on these signs:

Design: $34,000 paid to Square Peg, Redevelopment funds, account number 173-21-04-046

Bid process: $55,000 cosultant fee paid to SCI Consuting Group, General fund, account number 173-21-06-042

Improvement and installation, phase 1: $292,676 paid to Young Electric, Redevelopment funds, account number 174-21-07-107

Implementation, phase 1: $15,000 paid to Square Peg, Redevelopment funds, account number 173-21-08-013

The total for these signs was $396,676.00. All but $55,000 came out of the Redeveopment funds which cannot be used for employees salaries, benefits, etc, but $55,000 did come out of the General fund which can be used for employees. As the city lays off employees and implements furlough days for their employees (1 day a month, which equates to 5% of their salary per month) don't you think they could spend their money a little more wisely. I am a retired city employee and love this city, but we need to keep track of how the city is spending its money. The above information was obtained through the Public Records Act which anyone can access through the City Clerks office.

#2 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Brad Parks @ Mar 15 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Want to know how much the city spent on the new signs we see erected all over Folsom? Yes, the ones with the font that is too small, and you need to be stopped in order to read them..........that's the ones. Here is what the city spent on these signs:

Design: $34,000 paid to Square Peg, Redevelopment funds, account number 173-21-04-046

Bid process: $55,000 cosultant fee paid to SCI Consuting Group, General fund, account number 173-21-06-042

Improvement and installation, phase 1: $292,676 paid to Young Electric, Redevelopment funds, account number 174-21-07-107

Implementation, phase 1: $15,000 paid to Square Peg, Redevelopment funds, account number 173-21-08-013

The total for these signs was $396,676.00. All but $55,000 came out of the Redeveopment funds which cannot be used for employees salaries, benefits, etc, but $55,000 did come out of the General fund which can be used for employees. As the city lays off employees and implements furlough days for their employees (1 day a month, which equates to 5% of their salary per month) don't you think they could spend their money a little more wisely. I am a retired city employee and love this city, but we need to keep track of how the city is spending its money. The above information was obtained through the Public Records Act which anyone can access through the City Clerks office.

Welcome to the forum!

I've been critical of the city wasting our taxdollars for as long as I have been around. Its going to take employees to start speaking up about waste before anything is done.

I wonder how much the city spends on our mounted horse patrol every year?

#3 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Brad Parks @ Mar 15 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What gets me about these stupid signs, aside from the fact that some of them point either the long or wrong way to get to something, is that the name of the street you are going AWAY from is on the back of these signs. It makes no sense. You can't see the name coming from the opposite way because it's too small or too far away and you won't see it unless you turn you head around as you pass the sign.

Thanks for spending our $$ so wisely...NOT!
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#4 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

I was wondering when someone would comment on these ridiculous signs. They don't make sense, you cannot see them and the directions are so unclear on them there is no way to figure out how to get to the location listed. I know where I'm going and these signs make no sense at all!!! I could see if they had these signs then other signs showing you arrows when you are suppose to turn but these don't help at all. What a waste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

if only they told you how to get OUT of Historic Folsom
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#6 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

I love the Historic Folsom sign that's placed directly in front of another Historic Folsom sign... I have to snap a pic of it.

#7 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

Another vote for "What a waste!"

#8 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

they are part of a design that regular folks can't understand...the lettering is small to slow traffic down cause you can't read them on the move.

when we name bridge for a lake it doesn't cross, you have to have other things happen in the same pattern

wonder who the folks knew up high to get the contract

#9 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (old soldier @ Mar 15 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they are part of a design that regular folks can't understand...the lettering is small to slow traffic down cause you can't read them on the move.

when we name bridge for a lake it doesn't cross, you have to have other things happen in the same pattern

wonder who the folks knew up high to get the contract

I was actually told by someone in Folsom's gov't that you have to know someone in order to get contracts. They said that they don't post them on-line and you have to go and get to know the department heads to hear about RFP's. This was 2 years ago, so it may have changed, but it certainly explains a lot.

#10 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

I thought that the Chamber of Commerce was supposed to pay for these signs, or at least a large portion??
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#11 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Isn't there some sort of criteria to be met for the use of redevelopment funds?

In what ways do these signs help eliminate blight?

Welcome to the forum, Brad. Thank you for your years of service.

#12 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

I heard the signs were modelled after something similar in Beverley Hills.

My question,
who is the idiot that thought copying Beverley Hills would be a good idea?
I would rather be Backpacking

#13 Brad Parks

Brad Parks

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (ducky @ Mar 15 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't there some sort of criteria to be met for the use of redevelopment funds?

In what ways do these signs help eliminate blight?

Welcome to the forum, Brad. Thank you for your years of service.

I appreciate it. I truly love this city, and it has been very good to me and my family. My wife still works for the city in the Parks and Recreation Dept, and loves it. But, we definitely need to keep an eye on the spending. I would like to see the Fire Chief take over as Director of Public Safety and the Chief of Police retire. He costs the city over $300,000 per year in salary and benefits. Can you figure which dept I used to work for????

#14 Penny Lane

Penny Lane

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Brad Parks @ Mar 15 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I appreciate it. I truly love this city, and it has been very good to me and my family. My wife still works for the city in the Parks and Recreation Dept, and loves it. But, we definitely need to keep an eye on the spending. I would like to see the Fire Chief take over as Director of Public Safety and the Chief of Police retire. He costs the city over $300,000 per year in salary and benefits. Can you figure which dept I used to work for????

Here here for truth and honesty for what the tax payers monies are being spent on. What other costs like this are out there that none of us know about? Why does it appear that our council members are asleep at the wheel? I love living in this city but I'm certainly tired of the wasteful spending.

#15 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

I dunno about you guys but I can read them. I think they look nicer than the ugly green ones. As for the Double-Layer Historic District sign, I can only assume they'll be taking down the leaning over ugly green one soon. Yes, expensive, and yes, probably useless if you already know where you're going. But I remember trying to learn these streets and they would've been really nice to help me get around.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users