• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 fireflybrite

fireflybrite

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

On YouTube a police broadcast was recorded on this Mother's Day, at 2:00AM in the Morning. A *Mountain Lion* came into a Boy Scouts Camp Ground at Negro Bar and grabbed a back pack. Thank-Goodness it only took a backpack and not a BoyScout.

This is being kept quiet, but there are many joggers, walkers, and bicyclists that take all the trails around this area, many of these trails are dirt trails and a place where Mountain Lions hunt Deer and other Prey.

There are no postings or any information about this. I am assuming because the Holiday Weekend is near and they don't want to lose business. Better Business than a human life.

#2 fireflybrite

fireflybrite

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:28 AM

This sighting Was on Sunday Morning about 2 A.M, Mother's Day 2009

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

I put this on the front page... there was a mountain lion sighting on the north side of the river when the bridge was being built as well. Construction crews spotted it (they were on the opposite side of the river). Could be the same one.

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (john @ May 12 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put this on the front page... there was a mountain lion sighting on the north side of the river when the bridge was being built as well. Construction crews spotted it (they were on the opposite side of the river). Could be the same one.

You're probably right that it could be the same one. Interesting to hear there's one around here...but very dangerous, hope its caught and relocated soon.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#5 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

Now might be a good time to make sure your kids know what to do if they see a mountain lion, the basics being...

Don't scream. High pitched screaming sounds like a tasty bunny rabbit. Yell very deeply and loudly instead.

Don't run. Cat's like to chase. Instead, back away, very slowly if you can.

Look big. Open up your coat jacket. Pick up small children/babies.

Usually a mountain lion will ignore humans. But, if the lion does advance, fight back, don't play dead! Throw sticks, rocks, poke eyes, whatever you can.

Also know that if you see many deer around, there is a high likelihood that there is a mountain lion around that you can't see.

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

I've also heard it's good to keep children close to you when hiking trails, preferably between the adults and not trailing behind.

#7 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

A tracker with a good set of dogs could have this thing located in a day's time. Lets hope someone at fish n' game is on top of this. If a kid gets taken out the county now has a big lawsuit on their hands since I'm sure they now know this thing has been spotten in a populous area.

#8 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Sandman @ May 12 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If a kid gets taken out the county now has a big lawsuit on their hands since I'm sure they now know this thing has been spotten in a populous area.

whatever happened to the good old days when you see a mountain lion, you shoot it. Nowadays we can't do that and we have to wait for the gov't to come in and do it for us, and by golly if they don't do it right, we get to sue them. what a sad, pathetic, lawsuit state this has become.

#9 Inwit

Inwit

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

Mountain lions need large territories, like 10,000 acres per beast.

Ever since CA banned hunting of mountain lions, their populations have been on the rise which drives the younger new adults to seek out new territory which drives them into civilization. If the hunting ban was lifted, hunters would be able to reduce their population back down to where the frequency of this sort of occurence would decrease. and by limiting the number of hunting tags issued, this can be done without endangering the species.
n. 1. Inward sense; mind; understanding; conscience.

#10 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

I would imagine you could shoot it if it were charging you. If you are being attacked, fight back!

#11 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

Wasn't there a mountain lion caught in Orangevale, a few years back? As I recall, the home owner came out into his back yard and saw it up in one of his trees.

I agree that a tracker and a few good blood hounds could catch this kitty in short order, but doubt that will happen. I don't think the Fish and Game department do much of anything but come out and catch a mountain lion when someone sees it.

Like with many other things, the authorities are only reactionary and do not take preventive measures, as a rule.

I'm not sure that a law suit could be used against the city or county.

A while back I heard that a coyote or wolf had attacked a small child up in Canada. They had had a large population of those animals up there and they were eating pets. Nobody got too worked up over it until a human was attacked.

#12 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

We hike a lot with our kids locally......this is a little scary that it's so close to town. Just have to be even more careful as the kids sometimes like to run up the trail ahead of us or lag behind.
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#13 leapin26

leapin26

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:waterfalls, hiking, skiing, photography

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

Mountain lions are cute and cuddly.

Seriously though, the cougar probably took the backpack because there was food in it. Why would they be leaving food out at night for wild animals to take? If they did, that is just plain dumb. It may not be common for them to be in this area, but it is not unheard of either.

#14 sty10k

sty10k

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

I'm curious if it was really a mountain lion as they usually don't venture this close to civilization. There's simply not enough space for a mountain lion to roam along the narrow strip of nature near the river. Bobcats are much, much more common in a town like Folsom, one that's suburban but at the edge of "wilderness." Also, snatching a backpack does not sound like normal mountain lion behavior.

Now of course I wasn't there, and I didn't see what the kids saw. But to inexperienced eyes at 2 AM, any big kitty (like a bobcat) may "turn into" a mountain lion.

(FYI, I also can't see the video, so maybe my opinion should be discounted entirely.)

#15 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (The Dude @ May 12 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whatever happened to the good old days when you see a mountain lion, you shoot it. Nowadays we can't do that and we have to wait for the gov't to come in and do it for us, and by golly if they don't do it right, we get to sue them. what a sad, pathetic, lawsuit state this has become.

13 deaths in the history of California is no reason to go around killing mountain lions. Calm down people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users