40 replies to this topic

#1 folsomrose

folsomrose

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

Thursday Night Market is starting up again tonight after a weather delay last week. Is anyone going out there? I know John is out there now. What do you think of the changes?

#2 polycat

polycat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Baking, Cooking, Gardening, Traveling, Walking, Swimming, Biking, Reading, Blogging, Writing, Graphic Arts, Volunteering, Community... but my greatest interest and love is my family.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (folsomrose @ Jun 11 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thursday Night Market is starting up again tonight after a weather delay last week. Is anyone going out there? I know John is out there now. What do you think of the changes?

Heading out there in a bit. I'm hopeful, but will let you know my impressions after I get home.

#3 futile

futile

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (polycat @ Jun 11 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heading out there in a bit. I'm hopeful, but will let you know my impressions after I get home.

Not sure what it was like before, but I thought it was great. It's a great way to get people out for the evening and spend some time. There is apparantly a teenager area which is coming soon I think? Not a bad idea as I remember being a teenager well and would much rather be hanging out with the other kids than my own parents at an event like that!
-The 'Toph

#4 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

We went tonight and thought it was great. MUCH improved. Of course, we won the raffle, so that helped a little. laugh.gif The music and entertainment were great. Lots of vendors. I'm not sure if the teen zone is going to work out, though. Not a lot of kids were down there. Maybe it will take some time to catch on.

My only criticism is the "farmer's market." I want a real farmer's market, not a second-rate grocery store's produce department.

#5 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

We had a great time tonight. I do wish there had been more of a variety of food booths, and to be honest, I expected some produce (saw a couple random booths with produce type stuff), but overall it was a really fun time. I LOVE LOVE LOVED the balloon demo area! The man making balloon animals and things was AWESOME and all for a donation to support the balloon area and local food bank. We met my husband there for dinner and then my kids and I stayed to do the bounce house, balloons, and ended the night watching the cool bmx stunt team.

We will DEFINITELY be making this a weekly summer evening activity! Oh, and I got a shirt, a couple yo-yos and a frisbee from the myfolsom.com booth, from who I will assume was John. smile.gif

#6 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

Oh, yeah, it would be nice to have more food vendors out there.

#7 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

Great crowd tonight. Changes were more subtle than I expected, but there was a lot more buzz somehow. I liked the greater number of entertainment options, and the big stage at the top of the street for a main act.

Ran into newsblaze and john.

#8 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

I wanted to add something. Even though I know the organizers are not responsible for this, I was a little disappointed by the staff "manning" the bounce house. They let a mix of small children (including a couple toddlers) in to play with older boys and even older teenie bopper girls. The big kids got rowdy and my daughter (not a toddler) got trampled. Of course, she ended up in tears and wanted out but I think it could have been easily prevented had their been guidelines set up regarding a possible age limit - at least for the bounce house. Anyway, just though I would mention it...

#9 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

As a vendor I was very impressed. Clearly a "buzz" that's been missing before. I still feel charged from it. Tons of people! I can't wait to return as a street walker smile.gif

#10 bv1016

bv1016

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

Ummm... FUNNEL CAKE!

Nuff said

(Had a great time!!)

#11 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

It was pretty good! I'd say tonight was better than any night from last year.

I guess I never noticed a "teen area" and it didn't seem like the teens did either.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#12 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:50 PM

We were there tonight to take the boys to the BMX show. I threw this together for those who are interested:

http://video.yahoo.c...284859/13939731

-Matt

#13 polycat

polycat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Baking, Cooking, Gardening, Traveling, Walking, Swimming, Biking, Reading, Blogging, Writing, Graphic Arts, Volunteering, Community... but my greatest interest and love is my family.

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

I went with the boys last night and had a great time. I loved the energy, and all the people. Looks like many people have been awaiting the return of TNM - great crowd!

I think most of the restaurants, stores, were packed with people, so I hope it was successful for them. I liked that there was an information booth - and someone announcing upcoming events and activities. However if they had not "announced" it, I would not be aware that a teen zone was there. I think that will come with time though.

My boys loved petting all the dogs, so they certainly enjoyed the pups being there. I know there has been some controversy over if dogs should be allowed, but I think if everyone is as well behaved (dogs and kids alike) as last night, there should be no reason they can't all get along. I know my boys want to go back to see the "puppies" as much as anything else - except the bounce houses, of course. THAT was their favorite.

A couple negatives - which have already been mentioned, but I wanted to note because I notices them too:
I miss the fresh fruit/veggie vendors. I thought that was the core that the rest of TNM was built around. I know that Grocery Outlet is there - is that the agreement? They are the only ones allowed to sell produce in turn for helping sponsor the event? I would like to see the old farmers market area return down by Chicago Fire.
Again - just a note to the people running the bounce houses. Be aware of the age/size differences in the kids. Little ones got pummeled last night by some of the bigger kids. Maybe they could even bring a third "little" bounce house just for toddlers?

Hope the cool weather holds. The high heat will be the only thing that would keep me from returning to TNM all summer long.

#14 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:26 AM

Got there about 9 p.m. (it was a last minute thing, I wasn't planning to go) and was surprised Snook's was closed! My look of desperation must've been enough because they re-opened (apparently 9 is a "soft close") -- thanks to the Snooks' BTW. I'll plan to go back an actually enjoy stuff instead of showing up as everything is closing up.

...there was supposed to be a point to that; it'll come to me soon. smile.gif

#15 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

More and varied food vendors are a must. Street fairs are about food first, knickknacks second. Glad to see Old Europe out there with brats - overpriced though they were, still tasty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users