MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

I have never seen this bridge. I saw the picture on the Folsom newsletter. I don't remember ever seeing it.

#2 Allen

Allen

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Riding motorcycles and meeting motorcyclists, mountain biking, running the Folsom trails, digital photography, Geocaching (enjoy the link), cool technology gadgets, traveling anywhere and everywhere, good friends, music on my iPod.

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (MSgt @ Nov 1 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never seen this bridge. I saw the picture on the Folsom newsletter. I don't remember ever seeing it.

This is the Humbug Creek Pedestrian Path. I always liked crossing this bridge.

If you have a GPS, here is the location:

38° 40' 4.21" N 
121° 9' 14.35" W 

Located just outside of the southeast corner of Blue Ravine Road and East Bidwell Street.

Enjoy!

#3 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

It is a lovely bridge. My wife and I have walked across it several times.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#4 Stitch

Stitch

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

That is a very cool looking bridge. Love how the S curves amongst the trees and creek below.

#5 Suburban Pool Service

Suburban Pool Service

MyFolsom Pool Janitor

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Suburban Pool Service
    P.O. Box 1627
    Folsom, Ca 95763

Supplies /Weekly Service / Satisfaction

on the web at
    weservicepools.com

(916) 792-4836
    email service@suburbanpoolsupply.com

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

Great posting, I've never seen this bridge. Thanks!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

weservicepools.com

#6 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

I really like this Bridge too, when we would ride over it - I used to smell all the wood they made it out of, and for some reason it always reminded me of Disneyland - I don't know why...

QUOTE (Allen @ Nov 1 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

38° 40' 4.21" N 
121° 9' 14.35" W 

Located just outside of the southeast corner of Blue Ravine Road and East Bidwell Street.

Enjoy!

#7 harrmill

harrmill

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (MSgt @ Nov 1 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is right behind the Overlook Apts. You can access the trail to it from Harrington, right next to the reed pond (there is a dirt/gravel trail leading to the paved trail and bridge).

The paved part is the start and end of a measured 10K path leading down to Verizon off Folsom blvd and back. The trail system in town here is the best!

#8 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Allen @ Nov 1 2009, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

38° 40' 4.21" N 
121° 9' 14.35" W 

Enjoy!

Google maps took me to a section of paved trail when I used your coordinates, but very close by I found this satellite image.

edit: testing my link, you may need to maximize the window and then drag the image to the right and down just a little
I would rather be Backpacking

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:37 AM

this thread reminded me of a song...

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Nov 2 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Google maps took me to a section of paved trail when I used your coordinates, but very close by I found this satellite image.

edit: testing my link, you may need to maximize the window and then drag the image to the right and down just a little

Is the bridge by the tennis court or further up towards E. Bidwell?

#11 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (ducky @ Nov 2 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the bridge by the tennis court or further up towards E. Bidwell?

It starts in the trees right by the tennis court. If you notice the paved trail heading into the trees, then in the gaps between the trees you can see the wood bridge. As you travel north, you can see where the bridge just clears the trees and then turns into paved trail again by the little parking lot court. Continuing on the trail you will see the green arrow indicating the location of the coordinates given by Allen and the Red Pointer "A" showing the Google location of the nearest address (Victoria Teagarden Custom Sewing) to the Longitude & latitude coordinates.

FYI, I love maps, I wonder if I was a cartographer in a previous life. laugh.gif
I would rather be Backpacking

#12 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:43 PM

BTW, this bridge has a name: the Jim Konopka Volunteer Bridge, as it was assembled by a large team of volunteers over a period of almost 4 months of Saturdays, led by Folsom's eponymous Trails Coordinator. Volunteers came from the Folsom Area Bicycle Advocates (FABA), Intel, HDR Engineering, Friends of Folsom Parkways, City Staff and possibly others (see the plaque for names). Also, just to the east of the east end of this bridge (where the pavement currently stops) is where the long-awaited new bridge across E. Bidwell (and the wetlands) will start (see the home page blurb right here on My Folsom.com). This will be the final link in the Humbug-Willow Creek Parkway (Humbug Creek, in this case).

Oh, and one more thing, the "Chaffin Court" segment of the Willow Creek Trail, roughly between E. Bidwell and Riley (just south of the Overlook Apartments) opened on Friday. I had no idea how beautiful this stretch of trail would be. Check it out! Now one can ride the entire length of the Humbug-Willow Creek Trail from Folsom Blvd. to Empire Ranch entirely on this bike trail.

#13 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (tony @ Nov 2 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, this bridge has a name: the Jim Konopka Volunteer Bridge, as it was assembled by a large team of volunteers over a period of almost 4 months of Saturdays, led by Folsom's eponymous Trails Coordinator. Volunteers came from the Folsom Area Bicycle Advocates (FABA), Intel, HDR Engineering, Friends of Folsom Parkways, City Staff and possibly others (see the plaque for names). Also, just to the east of the east end of this bridge (where the pavement currently stops) is where the long-awaited new bridge across E. Bidwell (and the wetlands) will start (see the home page blurb right here on My Folsom.com). This will be the final link in the Humbug-Willow Creek Parkway (Humbug Creek, in this case).

Oh, and one more thing, the "Chaffin Court" segment of the Willow Creek Trail, roughly between E. Bidwell and Riley (just south of the Overlook Apartments) opened on Friday. I had no idea how beautiful this stretch of trail would be. Check it out! Now one can ride the entire length of the Humbug-Willow Creek Trail from Folsom Blvd. to Empire Ranch entirely on this bike trail.

Hope to check it out this weekend. Thanks Jim Konopka volunteers! We do have amazing trails here.

#14 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

Tony - the Trail used to end in the back of Chaffin Court and then I would ride out of Chaffin Court and up to Riley on rides heading back from Empire Ranch via Creekside and the Wood Bridge.

I did see that they were working on more trail at that end of Chaffin Court, so this is the part they just opened? If so, and if I continue up the new part of Chaffin Court - where does this trail come out?

Reason I ask, is right now in order to get from Willow Springs Area to Empire Ranch - I always have to head over the dirt at the end of the trail (just past the wood bridge), cross E. Bidwell on the street and reconnect on the back of Creekside trail.

If I divert up through Chaffin Ct. - does that lead up to the Trails to Empire Ranch as well?

Maybe I should just go explore...

Can't wait until the E. Bidwell Bike Bridge is complete - no more dirt trail and crossing busy E. Bidwell smile.gif

QUOTE (tony @ Nov 2 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#15 harrmill

harrmill

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Devdave @ Nov 2 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did see that they were working on more trail at that end of Chaffin Court, so this is the part they just opened? If so, and if I continue up the new part of Chaffin Court - where does this trail come out?

I am not sure, but I think the new trail connects Chaffin Ct area to the trail that goes under Bidwell and up to Oak Ave. This would eliminate the need to go from the end of the trail by the Overlook Apts (and said bridge) out Harrington to Creekside to Bidwell. A continnuous trail from Empire Ranch all the way to Folsom Blvd near Lake Natoma. Nice!

I wil have to check this out, too!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users