Photo

Businesses That Changed/disappeared Since The 90s?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

I think even mundane, everyday things in life that were no big deal at the time, you really miss once they're gone. This was one of my old towns, so it's sentimental value for me. smile.gif I sure wish I'd paid more attention back then - if I knew how much it would've changed I probably would've burned through rolls of film! Can you guys think of any more...there's bound to be alot I'm now forgetting, but this is what I can tell is different from my day:

Woody's > Scott's seafood (I bet the videogames and surfboard are long gone too)
Ross > 99 Cents store (did this one close when more in Folsom opened)
Albertson's > Big Lots
Burger King > Rodrigo's (the drive thru and exterior design looks like it's still there!)
Circle K > some other conveinence store (reminded me of Bill & Ted back then)
Rico's Pizza > looks like a Chinese place from the street view, but I can't tell

Speaking of Rico's, was that used bookstore there before (on the far right side)? I can't remember it in the 90s, but it seems like a really cool place to go now. I'm a geek and I love places like that!

Also, from the research I've done, american river plaza seems pretty dead now. I remember the Ace Hardware used to be smaller and to the right hand side of the Albertsons...there was also Crossroads animal hospital, a barber and an electronics repair shop (where the new triangle Ace building is now) - I bet those are gone today.

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Oldschooler81 @ May 20 2010, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think even mundane, everyday things in life that were no big deal at the time, you really miss once they're gone. This was one of my old towns, so it's sentimental value for me. smile.gif I sure wish I'd paid more attention back then - if I knew how much it would've changed I probably would've burned through rolls of film! Can you guys think of any more...there's bound to be alot I'm now forgetting, but this is what I can tell is different from my day:

Woody's > Scott's seafood (I bet the videogames and surfboard are long gone too)
Ross > 99 Cents store (did this one close when more in Folsom opened)
Albertson's > Big Lots
Burger King > Rodrigo's (the drive thru and exterior design looks like it's still there!)
Circle K > some other conveinence store (reminded me of Bill & Ted back then)
Rico's Pizza > looks like a Chinese place from the street view, but I can't tell

Speaking of Rico's, was that used bookstore there before (on the far right side)? I can't remember it in the 90s, but it seems like a really cool place to go now. I'm a geek and I love places like that!

Also, from the research I've done, american river plaza seems pretty dead now. I remember the Ace Hardware used to be smaller and to the right hand side of the Albertsons...there was also Crossroads animal hospital, a barber and an electronics repair shop (where the new triangle Ace building is now) - I bet those are gone today.

Ya know, the list is so much larger than that. There are places that have changed 3 or 4 times since the 1990's, and there are places that haven't. With as young as you are, I fear, if you keep up this sentimentality and love of the past at the level you demonstrate, you'll go crazy before you make it to 50. Change is good, embrace it. Stagnation isn't.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ May 20 2010, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya know, the list is so much larger than that. There are places that have changed 3 or 4 times since the 1990's, and there are places that haven't. With as young as you are, I fear, if you keep up this sentimentality and love of the past at the level you demonstrate, you'll go crazy before you make it to 50. Change is good, embrace it. Stagnation isn't.

Nothing wrong with reminiscing Bill...

One big change I've seen is record stores disappearing, I think the only one left around anymore is Dimples.... I miss Licorice Pizza (a really great SoCal record store)

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#4 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ May 20 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing wrong with reminiscing Bill...

One big change I've seen is record stores disappearing, I think the only one left around anymore is Dimples.... I miss Licorice Pizza (a really great SoCal record store)

I can reminisce with the best of them, but I also have a lot more years behind me than oldschooler does. My point is he seems to be always talking about the good ole days, and while reminiscing can be fun, it is also ancient history, your life is now and into the future.
If I wanted to try and identify everystore I know to have come and gone, it would be a monumental effort and I would chalk it up to a WOT (waste of time). Yes, I have fond memories of the Bank Club, a bar that predates your time in Folsom, but I'm not going to work on listing everyplace I know of and it's transitional history.

And in fact I'm going to a company reunion for those of us that used to work at a company now long gone. In it's heyday, it had as many as 700 people at it's Folsom facility. now many of us work for smaller companies and larger companies, but we still live in the greater Sacramento area. Some of us survived acquistions and divestitures and worked together for 20+ years. Others moved on to new endeavors (and went through acquistions and divestitures as well), but our paths still cross.
So I expect to be partying it up with 60-90 people I have known for years, we will reminisce, we will talk about what is new, we will drink, we will BBQ, and when the day is over, we'll go back home and continue on with our lives.
I would rather be Backpacking

#5 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

That's true Bill, lol. What's funny is even back then, despite still being a kid, I already felt that way about the 80s. I'm getting to the point in the last several years, where a time I can remember is "another generation". So I'm like moving into a different world where things aren't always familar and it feels weird. I think that's what's unnerving. On a more serious note I do worry about older relatives passing away, and even my parents being older than I'm used to.

Than again I do try and look at the positive too, because I know someday now will be old too. smile.gif

Davburr - yeah, record stores are great. Sometimes even just for a place to browse if you're in the area. I used to love Wherehouse. Isn't Dimple like Sac's version of Rasputin's in the south bay? I'm not sure if that existed when I lived there, but those used places are not only a step back in time and a great way to kill a couple hours, but you can find things you never would elsewhere. Far cheaper than the big box guys.

#6 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ May 20 2010, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Yes, I have fond memories of the Bank Club, a bar that predates your time in Folsom, but I'm not going to work on listing everyplace I know of and it's transitional history.

So I expect to be partying it up with 60-90 people I have known for years, we will reminisce, we will talk about what is new, we will drink, we will BBQ, and when the day is over, we'll go back home and continue on with our lives.

Oh, my goodness, I just mentioned to a friend the other evening about the Bank Club. What a place for memories!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users