9 replies to this topic

#1 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:22 AM

If you get a chance- read the article on News 10, about the captain who was off duty and saved a 13 year old old boys life-at the lake, this weekend.

I've known this kid for quite a few years,now.

To the fire man out there; you're awesome.

I could give you a hug right now.

#2 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

Erik is awesome. I am glad to see some good press for something they (Folsom Fire) do every day.

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:49 AM

well done!

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#4 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:00 AM

http://www.news10.ne...p...796&catid=2

Folsom Fire captain saves boy, 13, after Folsom Lake crash

FOLSOM, CA - An off-duty Folsom Fire captain is credited with saving a boy's life after the 13-year-old was seriously injured following a weekend crash on Folsom Lake.

The accident happened as Folsom Fire Department Capt. Eric Lefkove relaxed aboard his boat in Folsom Lake near Folsom Point around 5:45 p.m. Sunday, Folsom Fire Chief Dan Haverty said.

Lefkove said two boys were circling his boat on personal watercraft when the pair accidentally collided head-on. While one of the boys emerged unhurt, 13-year-old Connor Chavez was thrown from his craft and remained motionless, face down in the water.

"We heard a loud crash, looked over and saw one of the skiers get launched into the water," Lefkove said. "The other skier swam over to him and began to yell for some help."

Haverty said, Lefkove, a trained paramedic, pulled the unconscious boy out of the water and immediately began first aid after recognizing the severity of Connor's injuries.

Lefkove called the Folsom Fire Department, who sent emergency crews to meet Lefkove's boat at the dock and rush the boy to the UC Davis Medical Center in critical condition with major injuries to his face.

"Had it not been for Captain Lefkove's immediate recognition and response to the accident, and his quick emergency care, the boy would not have survived," Haverty said.

Chavez's mother Janey Orr said Connor was stable Wednesday, but it was still unclear what long-term affects her son may have suffered from the crash.

The boy suffered a severe blood clot as well as a stroke following the crash. Connor was just beginning to breathe again on his own without a ventilator Wednesday and was communicating with family members, Orr said.

"It could've been a whole lot worse if it weren't for all the heroic parties responsible," Orr said. "It could've ended up a death on the lake. We are very lucky. Connor is very lucky."
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#5 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (Redone @ May 20 2010, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erik is awesome. I am glad to see some good press for something they (Folsom Fire) do every day.

You know this guy?

Which station does he work out of?

I would like to tag him.

smile.gif

#6 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

You could probably call the main fire department number. They might tell you.

Oh yeah.....he is pretty awesome. Matter of fact.....he was in the firefighter's calender a few years ago.

#7 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:07 PM

"I would like to tag him" ????????????????????????

#8 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (Redone @ May 21 2010, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I would like to tag him" ????????????????????????

A way to say-your feelings matter or your efforts have not gone by unnoticed.

Annonymous atta boy.

Acknowlegement.

Sometimes just a card with a smiley face.

Sometimes something slightly more substantial.

Thanks
Annonymous
Gift

#9 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (supermom @ May 20 2010, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you get a chance- read the article on News 10, about the captain who was off duty and saved a 13 year old old boys life-at the lake, this weekend.

I've known this kid for quite a few years,now.

To the fire man out there; you're awesome.

I could give you a hug right now.

While I'm glad the kid is ok, what in the heck is a 13 yr old doing riding a personal water craft out on the lake? I thought you had to be at least 16?

We were out there on our boat at Folsom Point that day and left about a half hour before this happened and I can tell you the jet ski crowd is dangerous and wreckless as evident by this accident.

Was he a passenger on the jet ski? If he was in control of it then there are some serious things to be worried about out there on the lake this Summer.

#10 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (nomad @ May 21 2010, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I'm glad the kid is ok, what in the heck is a 13 yr old doing riding a personal water craft out on the lake? I thought you had to be at least 16?

We were out there on our boat at Folsom Point that day and left about a half hour before this happened and I can tell you the jet ski crowd is dangerous and wreckless as evident by this accident.

Was he a passenger on the jet ski? If he was in control of it then there are some serious things to be worried about out there on the lake this Summer.

I wasn't there. I won't presume to try to answer that.

Also-I don't know the age requirement-I don't believe I have used a jet ski, before. I don't like boats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users