- - - - -

How To Use A Turn Signal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

This is for all the people in Folsom who are either too lazy, stupid, self absorbed, ignorant, or just don't know how to be a courteous and safe driver...

How to Use Your Turn Signal

Part of safe driving is letting the other drivers around you predict what you will do. Using your turn signals is not difficult, and it's generally required by law whenever you make a turn or change lanes. Providing a signal to turn to other drivers, both in front of you and behind you, is to communicate to them, your intentions to change lane or directions. Communications is a effective tool to help prevent most accidents from happening.

1) Locate the lever on the left side of the steering column. (This lever will be on the right in any car designed for driving on the left side of the road.)

Posted Image

2) To signal a left turn, push the lever down (or up if the lever is to the right of your steering column).

Posted Image

3) To signal a right turn, push the lever up (or down if the lever is to the right of your steering column).

Posted Image

4) Once you have moved the lever up or down, an arrow light will begin blinking on the dashboard.

Posted Image

5) The signal will automatically turn off after you have made the turn, in most cases, but you must turn the wheel past a certain point. If it doesn't automatically turn off, move the lever back to its central, neutral position.

Practice using your turn signal in your drive way at home if you have to, it really helps all other drivers out there figure out which direction you're going to turn and can prevent a lot of accidents.

Remember, we're not mind readers, we can't predict which direction you're going to steer your vehicle at any time.

Be smart, take a second to use your turn signals, it's really not that difficult.

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

Nice try. I fear the people who consistently fail to use their signals will continue to fail to use their signals, as unsafe as it is and as frustrating as it is for the rest of us. They either don't get it or they don't care; I don't know how you change that.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

:lol: Dude, can't you read minds yet?

I just figured there was some part of the California Driver Handbook I missed that said turn signals were optional or something.

#4 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

Posted Image

#5 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

ROFL! Is this on a bumper sticker you can buy somewhere?
Dawn Grove

#6 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

...and I thought it was just that after paying for the leather seats and surround sound, those drivers couldn't afford the turn signal package.

Thanks, Dude, for the public service announcement!

Remember, people, just like gravity, using your turn signals is not just a good idea, it's the law!

#7 dimeracer

dimeracer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

So I am supposed to do all of this signaling BEFORE I actually move into a lane? Wouldn't that telegraph my intention, and therefore increase the risk of someone not letting me have the spot in that lane?

#8 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

...and I thought it was just that after paying for the leather seats and surround sound, those drivers couldn't afford the turn signal package.

Ha! That's what I thought sometimes too!

#9 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

http://dmv.ca.gov/pu...k/signaling.htm

SIGNALING

Always signal to other drivers, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians when you plan to turn left, right, slow down, or stop. Signals may be given by hand-and-arm positions or by using the vehicle’s signal lights. If bright sunlight makes the signal lights hard to see, also use hand-and-arm signals.

Motorcyclists often use hand signals to make themselves more visible. Bicyclists may give right turn-signals with their right arm held straight out, pointing right.

Always signal—this lets other drivers, bicylists, and pedestrians know your plans.

Signal:

• When making a left or right turn, during the last 100 feet before reaching the turning point. Caution!—Even though you signal, do not automatically assume that the space you want to occupy is clear.
  • Before every lane change check your mirrors, look over your shoulder, and check your blind spot before changing lanes.
  • At least five seconds before you change lanes on a freeway.
  • Before pulling next to the curb or away from the curb.
  • When you change directions.
  • Even when you do not see other vehicles. A vehicle you do not see may suddenly appear and hit you.
  • If you plan to turn beyond an intersection, start signaling when you are in the intersection. If you signal too early, the other driver may think you plan to turn into the intersection and he or she may pull out in front of you.

Remember to cancel your signal after turning.

#10 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

ROFL! Is this on a bumper sticker you can buy somewhere?

YES! Dude has started the best thread this year!

Maybe if there are bumper stickers referring people to learn about this magical wand attached to a steering column, maybe just maybe life near a street would be so much better. Bicyclists, joggers, walkers and gasp other cars will have a better clue what maneuver a driver is about to make.

Sign me up for a box of stickers please and I promise to dutifully use my magical wand turn signal indicator.

#11 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

So I am supposed to do all of this signaling BEFORE I actually move into a lane? Wouldn't that telegraph my intention, and therefore increase the risk of someone not letting me have the spot in that lane?

Agree. Quote often, people would speed up in the lane I want to move to when they saw my turn signal.

#12 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

And can I add:

Signal your intention to change lanes/turn BEFORE you brake and/or slow down. Geez, some drivers come to a complete stop in traffic and THEN turn their signal on. Duh.

#13 trans

trans

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, biking, camping, shooting, surviving!

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:41 AM

But its so hard to signal when they are trying to hold that cell phone to their ear with one hand, eat with the other and steer with a knee.
Life is nothing until it is lived...

#14 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

And can I add:

Signal your intention to change lanes/turn BEFORE you brake and/or slow down. Geez, some drivers come to a complete stop in traffic and THEN turn their signal on. Duh.

Yeah, that drives me nuts too! I try to watch people's head movements. That usually indicates where they are going.

Okay...so on another point...Yesterday, I was in the turn lane going into the parking lot of a large shopping center. I was behind a bunch of cars when the light turned green. We all started to turn slowly. I normally leave a little space turning into that specific parking lot because it gets backed up and then you are stuck in the middle of the intersection, (which is against the law) when the light turns green for the other drivers.

As I was looking forward, I noticed a silver Volvo type pull behind me banging her hands violently on her steering wheel, shaking her head and clapping. By the way she was acting, I thought she was having a seizure. I slowed a bit to see if she was okay, but I began to notice she was cussing and yelling at me to drive.
So, when safe I continued and made my left turn. The light was yellow when I went through and she blew through the red light. She nearly rear ended me and jacked up her bumper when she hit the incline going into the parking lot. She continued to cuss and scream like a mad person behind me through the parking lot and went around me very unsafely against traffic driving 25+ in a very busy shopping area.

I really do not understand this…nothing is so important that you have to drive like a jerk like this. I really hate the holidays and summer for this reason. People are sooo impatient. I know I can be a little impatient but I do not get the driving erratically especially in such an unsafe manner. Ugh…rant off!

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,587 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

As I was looking forward, I noticed a silver Volvo type pull behind me banging her hands violently on her steering wheel, shaking her head and clapping. By the way she was acting, I thought she was having a seizure. I slowed a bit to see if she was okay, but I began to notice she was cussing and yelling at me to drive.
So, when safe I continued and made my left turn. The light was yellow when I went through and she blew through the red light. She nearly rear ended me and jacked up her bumper when she hit the incline going into the parking lot. She continued to cuss and scream like a mad person behind me through the parking lot and went around me very unsafely against traffic driving 25+ in a very busy shopping area.

I really do not understand this…nothing is so important that you have to drive like a jerk like this. I really hate the holidays and summer for this reason. People are sooo impatient. I know I can be a little impatient but I do not get the driving erratically especially in such an unsafe manner. Ugh…rant off!

She must have had to do some really urgent shopping. We all know how important that can be.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users