47 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

We knew it was coming. Here it is...

Folsom council approves annexation south of Highway 50

After more than a decade of planning, the city of Folsom pushed forward on its bid Tuesday night to annex 3,500 acres south of Folsom, voting unanimously to send the expansion plan to the local body empowered to make a final decision.

The issue brought protests from a handful of residents during the hearing but enthusiastic and lengthy support from members of the development community, the Folsom Chamber of Commerce, and auto dealers, among others.

// go to below website for the rest of the article //

http://www.sacbee.co...annexation.html
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 sierrajmk

sierrajmk

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:02 AM

Did anybody go to the city council meeting?

I was there and it was my first experience being at a city council meeting.  I thought I'd share some thoughts on the experience.

During the public comment period, the second person to speak was a rancher from the area telling the council how they kept taking land away that could be (and has been) used for ranching and food production.  He seemed to be a representative of the way Folsom used to be.  I couldn't help but notice how his voice was drowned out by the parade of business people and developer representatives dressed in business suits praising the council for what a fantastic plan it is.  It became clearer to me who stands to gain from this project and who stands to lose.

When it was Jeff Starsky's turn to comment, he proceeded to go on a 15 minute (maybe longer) tirade against everyone who opposed the plan.  He particularly singled out a woman who asked him if he had read the documents.  You can see the direct quote in the sacbee article.  He showed a total disrespect for her, including calling her "lady" rather than "ma'am" or "miss".  He then proceeded to unleash his fury on Legal Services (I believe that is the name) - the organization that is suing the city for not providing enough affordable housing in their plan.  He said that he was going to beat them and take their money to cover legal fees (I guess he is representing the city?).  He was very wrapped up in the fact that this is a superior plan and it was almost like how dare anybody challenge it.  I was very disappointed to see a public representative act in this way, especially the way he acted towards one of his constituents.  

Both Starsky and Miklos were emphatic that this plan is what the people wanted.  They claimed that they were merely carrying out the will of the people...that the people asked them to do it so they did it (a.k.a. Measure W).  I got the impression that they were trying to say that it wasn't their idea to annex this property.  Maybe it wasn't, but I found it hard to believe when Miklos said that he had nothing to gain personally from the annexation and build out of the property.

There was also a consistent emphasis on Measure W as a representative of what the people want.  My understanding based on what I have read in this forum about the Measure T initiative is quite different.

One positive I noticed is that there is a fairly substantial movement to save as many trees as possible that currently exist in the area.  I'm all for that and wholeheartedly support any effort to save the beautiful oaks and the habitat they support from the axe.  If development is to occur, then this is the least we can do.

#3 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:37 AM

Thank you so much for the write-up of what happened.
Dawn Grove

#4 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

Did anybody go to the city council meeting?

I was there and it was my first experience being at a city council meeting.  I thought I'd share some thoughts on the experience.

During the public comment period, the second person to speak was a rancher from the area telling the council how they kept taking land away that could be (and has been) used for ranching and food production.  He seemed to be a representative of the way Folsom used to be.  I couldn't help but notice how his voice was drowned out by the parade of business people and developer representatives dressed in business suits praising the council for what a fantastic plan it is.  It became clearer to me who stands to gain from this project and who stands to lose.

When it was Jeff Starsky's turn to comment, he proceeded to go on a 15 minute (maybe longer) tirade against everyone who opposed the plan.  He particularly singled out a woman who asked him if he had read the documents.  You can see the direct quote in the sacbee article.  He showed a total disrespect for her, including calling her "lady" rather than "ma'am" or "miss".  He then proceeded to unleash his fury on Legal Services (I believe that is the name) - the organization that is suing the city for not providing enough affordable housing in their plan.  He said that he was going to beat them and take their money to cover legal fees (I guess he is representing the city?).  He was very wrapped up in the fact that this is a superior plan and it was almost like how dare anybody challenge it.  I was very disappointed to see a public representative act in this way, especially the way he acted towards one of his constituents.  

Both Starsky and Miklos were emphatic that this plan is what the people wanted.  They claimed that they were merely carrying out the will of the people...that the people asked them to do it so they did it (a.k.a. Measure W).  I got the impression that they were trying to say that it wasn't their idea to annex this property.  Maybe it wasn't, but I found it hard to believe when Miklos said that he had nothing to gain personally from the annexation and build out of the property.

There was also a consistent emphasis on Measure W as a representative of what the people want.  My understanding based on what I have read in this forum about the Measure T initiative is quite different.

One positive I noticed is that there is a fairly substantial movement to save as many trees as possible that currently exist in the area.  I'm all for that and wholeheartedly support any effort to save the beautiful oaks and the habitat they support from the axe.  If development is to occur, then this is the least we can do.

This is a perfect example of what I keep saying.... our city council doesn't give a crap about the will of the people WHO LIVE HERE - They ONLY care about kissing developer behinds and getting them to build this city out until it's a complete urban sprawl just like Los Angeles or Roseville.

Say goodbye to Folsom as we know it, our city council has just set things in motion to turn our town into another over developed city that's going to turn into crap with too many people, too much traffic and more loss of open spaces.

Our city council sucks! I'm sick of Starsky and Miklos their BS lies and their condescending crap and the sh*tty way they treat people who live here... as evidenced by the way they spoke to people at this meeting.... they do not care about anything but money and how it will benefit their careers in politics.

Is it any coincidence that Miklos is in real estate and he has an intense desire to have developers build out our city at all costs?

And why is Starskey serving as a lawyer against the people demanding more affordable housing? Isn't that a conflict of interest? Shouldn't he have to step down from city council if he's going to be representing the city as a lawyer?

Our city council stinks almost as bad as the council was for the City of Bell.

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

And why is Starskey serving as a lawyer against the people demanding more affordable housing? Isn't that a conflict of interest? Shouldn't he have to step down from city council if he's going to be representing the city as a lawyer?

I could be wrong, but I doubt he is acting as city attorney. Maybe council members have input, though, into defending the case?

Last I remember, Mr. Starsky was in-house counsel for Beutler. I don't know if that is still the case.

It is disappointing to hear the hostility towards residents who choose to speak. I guess the council are tired of hearing the same accusations. Still, it probably would have been better to just answer questions instead of becoming defensive.

The well-orchestrated proponents speaking one after another was to be expected.

Sierrajmk, were there any residents there to support the plan or was it just commercial interests that spoke in favor of? I'm just curious because, if it's truly what residents wanted, you'd think there would be a handful that would show to speak in support.

#6 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

I could be wrong, but I doubt he is acting as city attorney. Maybe council members have input, though, into defending the case?

Last I remember, Mr. Starsky was in-house counsel for Beutler. I don't know if that is still the case.

It is disappointing to hear the hostility towards residents who choose to speak. I guess the council are tired of hearing the same accusations. Still, it probably would have been better to just answer questions instead of becoming defensive.

I would hope to heck he's not acting as city attorney, IMO that is a serious conflict of interest.

Starsky was in-house counsel for Beutler eh? I'll assume that company will be involved with the development/building south of 50..

Too many city council ties to the industry they are allowing to pave over our paradise, I don't like it one bit!

#7 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:15 AM

I think the approval and development was inevitable; however I find it unlikely we will see this area even begin work for another 10 years or so. If anyone expected this land to never be developed I think it's wishful thinking. I'd love to see it stay the same way but California is a large area with lots of room for growth. It will contain 30% open space, that is great. I hope our trail system is well-incorporated in it.

I think Starsky's actions at the meeting are inappropriate at best.

#8 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

The well-orchestrated proponents speaking one after another was to be expected.

Sierrajmk, were there any residents there to support the plan or was it just commercial interests that spoke in favor of? I'm just curious because, if it's truly what residents wanted, you'd think there would be a handful that would show to speak in support.

I thought about going, but realized it was going to be a waste of time. I've been there enough to know that the deals are already decided by the time the council is voting. There isn't anything anybody who isn't from the "in" crowd is going to be able to say to change anything.

Starsky needs to go plain and simple! Does everyone remember his phone call to the Firefighter Union Rep after he won relection 6 years ago?

It looks like I might have some time available starting July to try to do something to make a change of some sort. I just have to figure out the best way to go about this.

#9 Tulum Lover

Tulum Lover

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Our city council sucks! I'm sick of Starsky and Miklos their BS lies and their condescending crap and the sh*tty way they treat people who live here... as evidenced by the way they spoke to people at this meeting.... they do not care about anything but money and how it will benefit their careers in politics.

I agree completely!!!

They BOTH need to go!!!

#10 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

I am kinda surprised noboby has mentioned the big editorial in the Bee this week about south of 50. The points I got was this water deal about pumping water from the natomas over hill and dale was going to cost about $10000 per house and the planners probably know this already. the bee called for the recall of measure w and then the water would then come from cranking up the water meters north of 50 to reduce use from 350 gallons a day to 250 which would then provide water and the expensive pump deal would be scrapped.

the thing about dropping w would then allow the developer folks to rip into the 30 per cent open space called for with w....

would some smart folks fill in some blanks on this water deal...I seem to recall the original south of 50 plan called for no financial impact on us north of 50 folks and also to keep the villians from rancho from taking over.

as I drive from prarie city to bidwell and look off to the right it wouldn't matter to me if harris ranch set up one of those cattle feeding operations.

#11 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Sad thing.....I took my 11 year old daughter to the council meeting to show her how 'government' works. When she heard those two jackass council members speak she leaned over to me and said 'wow, those guys are bullies'. Plain and simple. 5'2" dudes sitting behind a desk with fake tans. How tough is that? Whoooo......tough guys!!!!!

#12 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

Sad thing.....I took my 11 year old daughter to the council meeting to show her how 'government' works. When she heard those two jackass council members speak she leaned over to me and said 'wow, those guys are bullies'. Plain and simple. 5'2" dudes sitting behind a desk with fake tans. How tough is that? Whoooo......tough guys!!!!!

Actually your daughter did get a great example of how our gov't works and how it is made up of pompous wealthy politicians who are elected solely because they spent the most money on advertising campaign signs. They weren't elected for their intelligence or support of the future of Folsom.

It's all about the money, right here, right now. That's all it's ever about. Money rules each and every political decision ever made around here.

#13 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

You don't have to be big & strong to be a bully. Your daughter obviously saw what they were and nailed it on the head. I think you do your dauther's intelligence a disservice by sarcastically implying they aren't bullies.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#14 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

It's very sad to hear first hand accounts of the arrogance, bullying, and mendacity by the Folsom five.

It is fortunate this forum exists for the word to be spread.

I nearly went to the meeting, but I knew the braying, bullying bunch would be more so. You confirm it.

#15 ccallana

ccallana

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

I agree completely!!!

They BOTH need to go!!!

Clearly this view is not shared by many within Folsom as they have both served multiple terms.

I believe this to be more laziness and apathy from the voters rather than first hand knowledge and activism as is shown in this thread.

Its unfortunate that politics at all levels are dominated so much by money rather than what is actually important - and that so few people (myself included much of the time) care enough or have the energy enough to try and make things different....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users