• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

I have been told the old Manderes location is being remodeled to a new coffee shop. Anyone have the details?

#2 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

I can't find anything online, but am wondering....coffee/diner or coffee/cafe.
Maybe it's Bloom Coffee http://www.bloomcoffee.com/ from Roseville.

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

I wish it would become a Foster's Freeze (like it used to be) or a Taylors Refresher (like it could be!). I wish the whole length of the original E. Bidwell corridor (from the high school to Glenn) could go back to its early 1960s roots! That would be cool! Retro neon signage, landscaping, etc.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

I wish it would become a Foster's Freeze (like it used to be) or a Taylors Refresher (like it could be!). I wish the whole length of the original E. Bidwell corridor (from the high school to Glenn) could go back to its early 1960s roots! That would be cool! Retro neon signage, landscaping, etc.

Agree. That would be pretty cool.

I don't remember it being a Fosters Freeze. It's been a gas station, Pioneer Chicken, Dairy Queen, Fish 'n Chips, and Mandares.

I'd be happy to see just about anything go in there. If it's a coffeeshop, I hope they do soups, salads & sandwiches at lunchtime, too.

#5 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

I know that area is up next for an overhaul by the city. You should send your suggestion to the city planners! I think that would be fun!

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Agree. That would be pretty cool.

I don't remember it being a Fosters Freeze. It's been a gas station, Pioneer Chicken, Dairy Queen, Fish 'n Chips, and Mandares.

I'd be happy to see just about anything go in there. If it's a coffeeshop, I hope they do soups, salads & sandwiches at lunchtime, too.

Dairy Queen! That was it! Thanks. I just remember they had those cool soft serve cones!! And good hamburgers wrapped in paper. It was cute. I don't remember there ever being a gas station there though. Are you sure about that one?

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

by the way, has anyone checked the home page for Sergio's restaurant? his wife did some research and came up with some cool inf from the Telegraph when that building was put up in 1952. This should be the theme for that street!! http://www.sergiosfolsom.com/

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

I love the way you think!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

Dairy Queen! That was it! Thanks. I just remember they had those cool soft serve cones!! And good hamburgers wrapped in paper. It was cute. I don't remember there ever being a gas station there though. Are you sure about that one?

That's what I've been told by neighbors that have lived here forever. It explains why the restrooms are on the outside.

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

That location should serve well for a nice coffee shop. I wonder what kind? The restaurant type coffee shop type or a starbucks type coffee shop?

I like 4thGen's idea best about keeping the area retro 60's and putting in a Taylor's there... that could have become a destination place...

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#11 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:22 PM

looks like its going to be "BJ Cinnamon"

http://www.folsom.ca...nt/arrivals.asp

#12 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

That's what I've been told by neighbors that have lived here forever. It explains why the restrooms are on the outside.

in the old days, the restrooms were always on the outside. quite often, it was also just walk-up window service with a covered awning outside for people to eat under. I remember when they first started putting the restrooms inside fast food places. I thought it was pretty luxurious! Oh man, I feel really old all of a sudden.

since this part of town dates to just after WWII, early 1950s to 1960s, it really celebrates the construction of Folsom Lake, which is why the bowling alley is called the Lake Bowl. It could be our second historic district!

#13 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

http://www.folsom.ca.us/depts/economic_development/arrivals.asp

There's a sign in the window confirming that. I wonder if this business is related to the one that closed in Orangevale.

Someone mentioned "Taylor's". I was thinking of Taylor Bros Hotdogs , a historic landmark hole-in-the-wall in Visalia.

#14 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

http://www.folsom.ca.us/depts/economic_development/arrivals.asp

Is that another chain? :-(

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#15 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

There's a sign in the window confirming that. I wonder if this business is related to the one that closed in Orangevale.

Someone mentioned "Taylor's". I was thinking of Taylor Bros Hotdogs , a historic landmark hole-in-the-wall in Visalia.

I like hole-in-the-wall places, but there's already Urban Dog & Sausage just down from this location.

I was really hoping for something that wasn't a chain, but better to have something there than empty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users