Photo
- - - - -

Suv / Bicycle Collision July 3 On E Natoma (Update!)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fatfenders

fatfenders

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

I started a previous thread back when this collision occurred and now I am adding the 'final chapter'. As stated before, there was no question as to fault (the driver) but, not having ever had to deal with this situation before, there was a big question in my mind as to just what kind of hassle dealing with her insurance company (Farmers) would be. Well, I am here to report that there was no hassle at all! Farmers was great. I dealt exclusively with their claim's guy "Russell Friedrichs". Russ could not have been more proactive, fair, and personable. On the advice of 'Bob Mionske' of bicyclelaw.com fame I didn't hire an attorney (can't say enough good things about Bob) but simply dealt directly with Russ. After investigating the claim, Russ called and made it clear that they would cover all the costs of the bicycle repair... no questions. Which they did. He then made, what I considered to be a very generous offer for 'pain and suffering' which I accepted without negotiation.
Here is an example of how he dealt with my claim... after sending him the estimate from my bike shop, my wife pointed out that I should replace my helmet, even though it showed no outward signs of damage. So I got on REI's website and found an exact replacement . It was on sale 30% off. I ordered it and sent Russ a snapshot of the ad. When he handed me the check he noted that he reimbursed me for the original (not the sale) price. A small thing but indicative of how he did business.
We all know about the horror stories of the evil insurance companies but they have their story to tell as well.

Hey Tony, if you are reading this I am back in town... Lets get together.

#2 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

I started a previous thread back when this collision occurred and now I am adding the 'final chapter'. As stated before, there was no question as to fault (the driver) but, not having ever had to deal with this situation before, there was a big question in my mind as to just what kind of hassle dealing with her insurance company (Farmers) would be. Well, I am here to report that there was no hassle at all! Farmers was great. I dealt exclusively with their claim's guy "Russell Friedrichs". Russ could not have been more proactive, fair, and personable. On the advice of 'Bob Mionske' of bicyclelaw.com fame I didn't hire an attorney (can't say enough good things about Bob) but simply dealt directly with Russ. After investigating the claim, Russ called and made it clear that they would cover all the costs of the bicycle repair... no questions. Which they did. He then made, what I considered to be a very generous offer for 'pain and suffering' which I accepted without negotiation.
Here is an example of how he dealt with my claim... after sending him the estimate from my bike shop, my wife pointed out that I should replace my helmet, even though it showed no outward signs of damage. So I got on REI's website and found an exact replacement . It was on sale 30% off. I ordered it and sent Russ a snapshot of the ad. When he handed me the check he noted that he reimbursed me for the original (not the sale) price. A small thing but indicative of how he did business.
We all know about the horror stories of the evil insurance companies but they have their story to tell as well.

Wow! Glad to hear it went so well.

One question: did the police cite the driver? If so, what for?

#3 fatfenders

fatfenders

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Wow! Glad to hear it went so well.

One question: did the police cite the driver? If so, what for?

Tony,
The 'short' answer is 'no'.
The long answer is... the officer in charge (B. Bradshaw) called me the day after the collision. Explained to me how the system worked (i.e. police report) etc. During that conversation I asked him if she had been cited. While I consider him to a competent and professional officer of the law, what I heard next could only be described as legal mumbo-jumbo . After telling me 'no', he went on to use, I am sure, his best oratorical skills in an attempt to explain, to me, the unexplainable. Something about some legal concept that in California there were two different laws under which she could have been cited and if he chose the wrong one she could go to court and beat the wrap. I dunno... something like that. I sure didn't understand it. But I wasn't going to pursue it either.
Interesting though... if we go 10 over through a speed trap at 1 in the morning we get nailed for a $200-300 ticket. She can darn near kill a guy on a bike and not get cited. Go figure.
Posted Image

#4 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Tony,
The 'short' answer is 'no'.
The long answer is... the officer in charge (B. Bradshaw) called me the day after the collision. Explained to me how the system worked (i.e. police report) etc. During that conversation I asked him if she had been cited. While I consider him to a competent and professional officer of the law, what I heard next could only be described as legal mumbo-jumbo . After telling me 'no', he went on to use, I am sure, his best oratorical skills in an attempt to explain, to me, the unexplainable. Something about some legal concept that in California there were two different laws under which she could have been cited and if he chose the wrong one she could go to court and beat the wrap. I dunno... something like that. I sure didn't understand it. But I wasn't going to pursue it either.
Interesting though... if we go 10 over through a speed trap at 1 in the morning we get nailed for a $200-300 ticket. She can darn near kill a guy on a bike and not get cited. Go figure.
Posted Image

Sounds typical. Did you get a copy of the police report? There was nothing in the Police Log on July 3rd (which is no longer available on the city's web page, which only goes back one month).

#5 fatfenders

fatfenders

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Sounds typical. Did you get a copy of the police report? There was nothing in the Police Log on July 3rd (which is no longer available on the city's web page, which only goes back one month).

Yes, I have a copy of the police report (To add insult to injury, it cost me 6 bucks!)
There is no mention, one way or the other, about her not being cited.
The only reference regarding 'cause' is: "P-1 caused the collision by failing to yield from a stop sign in violation of 21802a VC.
Hey, lets get together next week down there at Broadstone.
Posted Image

#6 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yes, I have a copy of the police report (To add insult to injury, it cost me 6 bucks!)
There is no mention, one way or the other, about her not being cited.
The only reference regarding 'cause' is: "P-1 caused the collision by failing to yield from a stop sign in violation of 21802a VC.
Hey, lets get together next week down there at Broadstone.
Posted Image

At least the police report established fault. No doubt that had some bearing on how forthcoming the State Farm agent was. And, compared to any car-car collision or a couple of hours of their lawyers' fees, the cost of repairing your bike is tiny. So, it's an easy call for the insurance company.

P.S. I sent you a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users