• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

I don't have documented proof anywhere but my understanding is that Folsom is down to 1 ambulance after 8pm due to budget cuts. Is there anyone on the forum that can vouch for this? I received an anonymous tip...

#2 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

wow, well I bet they get support from sac metro ambulance

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Got an official response from the fire chief. I was impressed with the detailed explanation...

The City of Folsom Fire Department operates two staffed paramedic ambulances in the community on a daily (24 hour) basis. One paramedic ambulance is located at Fire Station 35 (535 Glenn Drive) and the second paramedic ambulance is located at Fire Station 37 (70 Clarksville Road). In addition, a reserve paramedic ambulance is located at Fire Station 37 and can be cross-staffed by the three firefighters assigned to Engine Company 37 when conditions warrant.

In 2012 the City averaged slightly more than eight ambulance patient transports to local hospitals on a daily basis. A large percentage of our ambulance transports in the City occur between the hours of 8:00 am and 8:00 pm. In addition, approximately 60% of all patients transported by our ambulances go to Mercy Hospital here in Folsom. An analysis of our prior ambulance transport data suggests that one paramedic ambulance is adequate between the hours of 8:00 pm and 8:00 am as we do not encounter the same frequency of emergency medical services requiring ambulance transport as we do during the earlier hours of the day.

The City participates in a regional sharing of paramedic ambulances through various aid agreements in place with our cooperating fire agencies that provide similar services. We frequently provide paramedic ambulance transport services for patients outside the City when requested by one or more of these agencies. These agencies also frequently assist the City of Folsom with our patient transport needs when out ambulance fleet is unavailable during peak call volume periods. The closest paramedic ambulances available in accordance with these agreements are located in Orangevale, Fair Oaks, Rancho Cordova, El Dorado Hills and Granite Bay. There are many additional paramedic ambulances available beyond those listed that can be quickly called upon should conditions warrant.

Starting on January 1, 2013, the City will no longer staff the paramedic ambulance at Fire Station 37 between the hours of 8:00 pm and 8:00 am whenever the hiring of off-duty firefighters to fill overtime vacancies during that time period is required. This is being done to manage our paramedic ambulance service delivery costs while remaining within the authorized general fund budget appropriation for the Fire Department as set forth in the City’s budget for this fiscal year. If all regularly assigned firefighters are on-duty (i.e. no overtime is required) both paramedic ambulances will remain in service for the entire twenty-four hour period. The paramedic ambulance at Station 35 will continue to be staffed full-time twenty-four hours a day. In addition, the reserve ambulance at Station 37, that is cross-staffed by firefighters from Engine 37, will continue to be in operation twenty-four hours a day and will be placed into service for patient transports as conditions warrant.

In response to your question regarding the Department’s operating plan under the conditions cited it is likely that the paramedic ambulance located at Station 35 will be available to respond to an emergency as the first option between the hours of 8:00 pm and 8:00 am. As stated previously our analysis of the data shows that the ambulance transport workload decreases significantly after 8:00 pm. In the event that it is not available our regional dispatch system would then dispatch the reserve paramedic ambulance from Fire Station 37 if it is available. Lastly, the available paramedic ambulances identified in the surrounding communities can be dispatched to assist the City with a patient transport should the need arise. All of these resources can arrive on scene within twenty minutes or less in most areas of the City.

I hope that this adequately answers any questions you may have about the City’s operating plan for its paramedic ambulance services. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions that I may be able to assist you with.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ron Phillips, Fire Chief
City of Folsom Fire Department
50 Natoma Street
Folsom, CA 95630
(916) 351-3453

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

soooo, 1 ambulance with an excuse that hopefully another city can take a call in a pinch between 8pm and 8am. ? or did I miss something in all that mumbo-jumbo ?

well, i'm mean how often does Folsom have multiple ambulatory needs? its not like we have major multiple vehicle accidents on a daily basis, or shoot outs or even a whole bunch of old folks homes here in Folsom... Right?

I guess we just need to start mitigating our future emergencies by making sure we are in granite bay or Carmichael when we have a heart attack or a stroke....

#5 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Wow.

25 years ago we had 4 fire stations and 2 medics.

Now, 4 fire stations and 1.5 medics.

Over 4 times as many people paying property taxes, etc.

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

John, I liked your feedback above. Is there any way that I can forward your comments, via email, to
another person? Or do I just have to copy and paste it into an email and send it?

Thanks.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#7 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

There's an email icon on the bottom of the page, that should do it...

#8 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Ugh... I don't even know how to respond anymore when I hear things like this. Evidence of our tax money being squandered is everywhere yet there appears to be nothing we can do except vote for more taxes as some magical cure because we can't fix the real problems. *sigh*
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#9 (Poker)

(Poker)
  • Visitors

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

On a semi-related note, I heard a police chief on one of the cable channels today say his city is trying to fund 3 police departments...he said 1 of the depts is the current dept, and the other 2 are former depts...he was asked "what does that mean", and he said PENSIONS !!!...he said that's why many cities are tapped-out....so expand that to other "public service" depts, and you can see why "the fiscal end is near"....or at least that's why INTELLIGENT people can recognize that....God help this fiscally-dumb country...

#10 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Sad. Well, at least you got the 'company' answer to your question. Too bad FDs deal in the 'what if's'. There are a few scenarios I could throw out there that would make your head spin. But since the answer sounded 'official', I guess most of the citizens in the city will say that's adequate. Like it was mentioned previously, 4 stations, 3 engines, 2 medics since the early 80s. Call volume has tripled, population has doubled, and we're cutting services. Start relying on neighboring agencies to run what is supposed to be 'your' FD? Are you kidding me? As a citizen of this city, I'm disgusted, so say the least.

#11 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

so what happens when a house fire breaks out in Empire ranch, a fatal collision happens on FA and there is a medical emergency that takes place at one of the many senior care facilities in folsom?

Add tot hat someone have a an accident in their home and need medical help...

The delay in services will be life threatening. Did the Fire chief really sign off on this?

#12 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Now those are REALLY GOOD questions.

#13 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

http://folsom.news10...313578692480564

#14 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

In that article, it quotes the Union rep decrying what is happening. I believe he should have thought about that 15 years ago when those union reps were up at city hall badgering, er, negotiating, with the city council over getting more $$$ for pensions and benefits. priced themselves out of their safety zone as a result and we all pay the consequences.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#15 (Poker)

(Poker)
  • Visitors

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Unions are bad....they always say "it's about public safety...it's about the kids", but we all know it's about the $$$$..

Unions need to be crushed.

I hope nobody is offended by my remarks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users