18 replies to this topic

#1 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:14 PM

I'm trying to compile a list of the best things to do with kids (or the best places to go) right here in Folsom.

I'd like to collect "nice day" ideas as well as "rainy day" ideas.

So... let's hear from moms and dads: what are the best "boredom busters" for kids here in Folsom?

#2 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:26 PM

We have twin 2 year olds... they LOVE the Zoo!
A membership to the Zoo is well worth the money. We probably go every other weekend!

Plus any of the larger parks in the area - City Park, Livermore Park, Lew Howard, etc.

#3 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

If you have a patio in the backyard.... you can let them draw all they want with colored chalk - you can pick it up at Michaels.

Water based finger painting, basketball, tricycle, go for a ride on the Folsom train, water sports, bubble tag, hide and seek, hop scotch, jumping games, etc. our kids are pretty young so we can make up just about anything and turn it into a game - that'll keep them amused.

Can't wait until they get older and we can play, "statue". smile.gif
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#4 skippypeanutbutter

skippypeanutbutter

Veteran

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:54 PM

Really big boxes (fridge boxes, washer/dryer boxes, etc.) work well for forts. The kids can paint and decorate them before playing in them. It's a great imagination game that I still enjoy today. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#5 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

Hiking the trail by Lake Natoma. In summer, they can bring a container to collect blackberries. (and poison oak and rattlesnakes, so be careful)
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#6 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:35 PM

Now is a good time to have them plant some plants or start seeds.

#7 apeman45

apeman45

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

The fish hatchery off Hazel is always fun for kids. For 5 cents you can buy a handful of fish food for the kids to feed the trout. Great exhibit there. In the fall, when the Salmon are running and the ladder is open, it is a must see for kids and adults.

The bike trails here are awesome.

I like fishing and hiking with kids around Folsom lake.

A canoe or kayak is great for kids at Folsom and especially Natoma.

It's not in Folsom but my 11 year old really likes the grounds around the capital. There are some great trees and plants. The camelias are blooming like mad now. Mix that with Imax and a picnic lunch and you are set.

What is called the Castle Park, sorry don't know the real name, is a winner for the kids. It's near Oak Chan. We just got our polywogs from the nearby pond and are raising them on the klitchen counter.

#8 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(apeman45 @ Apr 1 2005, 06:49 PM)
What is called the Castle Park, sorry don't know the real name, is a winner for the kids.  It's near Oak Chan.

View Post

Its called Folsom Kids Play Park. Probably one of the best in Folsom.

http://www.myfolsom....map_parks.shtml
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

Thanks guys. These are excellent ideas. I'll throw in a few of my own, for the benefit of Folsom newbies:

Rainy Day: The library; McDonald's playland on Iron Point; Border's bookstore; Petco; the toy store at the Nimbus Winery.

Nice day: Livermore Park (the creek provides hours of fun); Folsom Zoo; Fish Hatchery; Negro Bar; Castle Park; Folsom City Park (now has a new play structure along with chickens); Folsom Aquatic Center...

Wow. I think what this tells us is that Folsom is a really great town for kids. We didn't have half this stuff where I grew up!

#10 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Apr 2 2005, 03:19 PM)

-The toy store at the Nimbus Winery
-Castle Park

View Post

We were at both of those today. The kids loved it.

There is one pet peeve I have about Castle Park. One more than one occassion I've found used condoms in the 'castle'. My youngest almost picked one up. We've also run across the same at a park in Empire Ranch.

Just wish people would clean up after themselves....
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

IPB Image

#11 Solartide

Solartide

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:40 AM

I would suggest playing CS, but steering them toward shooting people on computers may be counter-productive to your aims.

#12 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

user posted image

Cool..... smile.gif
-- Albert Einstein--

IPB Image

#13 Gwyneth

Gwyneth

Netizen

• Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:43 PM

ZOO ZOO ZOO, the most wonderful little zoo in the world.

Train that goes round the zoo.

Don't know the level of the Lake this year, though, judging by the River, it could be high. If yes, there are nice places to play in the sand, take a dip, like Beal's Point.

Renaissance Faire in October every year.

Library.

Aquatic Center.

Skip the Rodeo, it's incredibly crowded and expensive, and verges on cruelty to animals. You can watch the fireworks from a distance though, somewhere up in the hills?

#14 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:18 PM

for those of you that have never seen the Rodeo Cattle Drive, it's this Friday, Noon, Sutter Street. It's always a blast!

#15 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(john @ Jun 27 2006, 10:18 PM) View Post

for those of you that have never seen the Rodeo Cattle Drive, it's this Friday, Noon, Sutter Street. It's always a blast!

Where's a good location to watch it from and not get trampled by cattle or people? Thanks!!
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users