162 replies to this topic

#1 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just saw this on the news. Hideous and a complete waste of money. All in the name of being "different" even though it's been done to death in college football.

Such a waste. They have blue friggin uniforms too, you won't be able to see them. And I guess the soccer team will enjoy playing on a blue field as well.

Who makes these decisions?

Waiting for "The Professor" to chime in...

#2 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

Both Folsom and Cordova High had their fields replaced using money generated from cell phone tower leases.

#3 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

Both Folsom and Cordova High had their fields replaced using money generated from cell phone tower leases.

But the money could have been used for something else, right?

Seems like we've come a long way since the days of budget desperation of just two years ago.

#4 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

But the money could have been used for something else, right?

Seems like we've come a long way since the days of budget desperation of just two years ago.

Exactly. Keep this in mind when they try to pass a bond next year.

#5 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Maybe the point is for the away team to have a hard time finding the blue Folsom players on the blue field.  When I saw it on the news last night my first reaction was that is pretty ugly, but I'm willing to reserve judgement until it is complete and I can see it in person.

#6 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

New football fields but no librarians. Interesting choice by the district.

#7 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

New football fields but no librarians. Interesting choice by the district.

I'd suggest to you that the reason Folsom doesn't have more librarians is because it would be "unfair" for some of our schools to have one but schools down in Rancho not to.  My children go to a school where the PTA offered to pay for a part time librarian but the offer was rejected because it wouldn't be "fair."  This happened at least in two different school years.  <start union rant>Nope, I'm not even going to go there.<end union rant>

#8 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

At about $1,000,000 per field that would staff every school with a librarian.

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Did Cordova HS get blue turf too?  In the 2012-2013 Revised adopted budget, page 133, it shows $941,113 for Cordova HS turf replacement and $1,286.934 for Folsom HS.  That's a $345,821 difference.

#10 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Maybe the point is for the away team to have a hard time finding the blue Folsom players on the blue field.  When I saw it on the news last night my first reaction was that is pretty ugly, but I'm willing to reserve judgement until it is complete and I can see it in person.

I would think at Field level it would be more of a detriment to Folsom than the visiting team. If it is blue on blue it would make it hard for the quarterback to see his receivers...    Remember what you see from the stands or a camera are not the same as what the teams see at field level.

Hmmm... just thought the visiting could have the same issue with seeing defensive players on pass plays ...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#11 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Does this mean my child's teachers will not be asking for classroom donations this year now that the district has money for such frivolous expenditures?

#12 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Does this mean my child's teachers will not be asking for classroom donations this year now that the district has money for such frivolous expenditures?

I literally laughed out loud when I read this.  Of course not!  We've already stocked up on common items that we know the teachers will be asking for.  Got to love those pre-school sales.

#13 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Coach Richards sure seemed excited.

#14 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

I would be excited if my daughter's school had a librarian or enough copy paper and tissue to make it through the year.

#15 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

I bet they still don't have money to heat the swimming pool at the newest High School. Last I heard they couldn't use the pool

during cold weather??

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users