• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:02 PM

This woman really should be ashamed of herself...
http://www.thekcrach...216/detail.html

#2 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:12 PM

How much are these dues?

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

I totally agree with John. The experience my children got from the music program was worth every penny. I can't believe this wonderful program is going to be put in jeopardy by this kind of greed.

#4 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(john @ Apr 27 2005, 10:02 PM)

I absolutely agree.

Hasn't this lady been paying attention?! There is not enough money to go around for education in California. Districts throughout the state have been forced to make numerous budget and program cuts.

The reason that FCUSD and other districts are able to continue wonderful programs such as music is that they've found funding elsewhere. The Folsom Music Boosters work very hard to raise funds for music and to lobby the school board to continue supporting the music program in spite of budget crunches. Their efforts should be commended, not attacked in the courts.

Beginning when their children are in elementary school, parents are occasionally asked to reach in their pockets to support various programs and activities: field trips, special art or science projects, band & orchestra programs at the elementary and middle schools, P.E. uniforms at the middle school, etc.. I was even surprised to learn that students are asked to pay a fee for taking a foreign language at the high school. (It would be more understandable to attack foreign language fees or P.E. uniform fees. P.E. is required by the state, and high school foreign language is an entrance requirement to four-year universities. Music is not a requirement.)

I believe the schools have always made it clear that other arrangements could be made for families who find the payment of these activity fees to be a financial hardship. So what is Mrs. Kinsella's gripe?

If Mrs. Kinsella is upset that there is not enough money to support educational programs such as music, then she should be lobbying her state senators and assemblymen and writing to the governor. Why attack the Folsom Music program, a victim itself of the State budget crisis?

If Mrs. Kinsella has energy to devote to righting "wrongs," I could suggest to her many more noble causes which address life and death issues. (She could start with "Slow Down Folsom." Speed DOES kill.).......Who really will benefit from her lawsuit?.....And whose money is she wasting?

Thanks for the disservice to our community.

#5 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:07 AM

My description of her actions would be bleeped like you wouldn't believe. Nice going lady! What a --- well, I'll stop.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:20 AM

Well, said, tgianco. Or, I guess, not said rather.

You can put me down as one former music booster parent who won't be joining her "bleeping" class action lawsuit. I always knew if I couldn't pay the dues the boosters would find a way for my children to participate. In fact, I think the dues slips used to say at the bottom that if you could not pay that other arrangements could be made.

Even though I no longer have a child in the FHS music program I still continue to support their fundraisers because of how important I think the music program is for the students.

#7 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(ducky @ Apr 28 2005, 07:20 AM)

Even though I no longer have a child in the FHS music program I still continue to support their fundraisers because of how important I think the music program is for the students.

View Post

On behalf of all current music students, and those to come, THANK YOU! That is the kind of attitude that helps to build our schools and community.

#8 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:37 AM

I too don't understand the basis for this lawsuit.

If we as parents want our children to participate in "extra-curricular" activities, we can not possibly expect that tax dollars pay for these programs!

If this lawsuit is successful, this will result in END of all extra curricular activities at all schools!

I hope the district does not settle this case, but rather allows this case to go to trial and then after the district wins, then seeks reimbursement of legal fees from the plaintiff.

Another classic example of why we need tort reform in this state!

#9 Ahnold

Ahnold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:37 AM

I credit my high school band experiences with teaching me a great deal about discipline, teamwork and attention to detail. Even 20 years ago we had to perform fundraisers to help keep the program running - I'm sure my parents would have gladly paid to keep me in such a quality program, but we had a great boosters program and non-stop fundraisers.

This lady's greed could jeapordize the entire program and she needs to stop being selfish. If it's too much to pay, then get your kid out of the program and leave it for the people that are willing to help!

#10 bigsheldy

bigsheldy

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:48 AM

This is friggin ridiculous. Playing music is a specialty class, and normal funding doesn't cover it. If they didn't want to pay the money they should have dropped the class. If they win this, our school music program is dead. Does she not understand how much it costs to get 500 students to Utah to play in a music festival? We've won state-wide awards and even national awards. I have tons of friends that are in these classes, and some of them are even considering careers in music. Her kids don't even go there anymore, why is she doing this now?
user posted image

#11 openminded

openminded

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(john @ Apr 27 2005, 11:02 PM)

View Post

#12 openminded

openminded

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(john @ Apr 27 2005, 11:02 PM)

View Post

John & Donna,

You may want to think twice about a law suit... Do you really want the world to know about your own financial past?

#13 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

I nominate this person for Worst Folsom Resident

#14 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(openminded @ Apr 28 2005, 09:45 AM)
John & Donna,

You may want to think twice about a law suit...  Do you really want the world to know about your own financial past?

View Post

I'm not sure why you are implying I am supporting this or even related to this lawsuit. I just opened the thread to discuss the issue - after all, this is my website! To be clear, I do not condone the actions of this woman who is filing this lawsuit... in fact, this lawsuit disgusts me. The Folsom High Music Program is one of the best in the country... and the Music Boosters are a big reason why.

I have never understood people who sue because "they can" - to me, it's one of the things that is wrong with America.

#15 Ahnold

Ahnold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(john @ Apr 28 2005, 08:55 AM)
I'm not sure why you are implying I am supporting this or even related to this lawsuit. I just opened the thread to discuss the issue - after all, this is my website! To be clear, I do not condone the actions of this woman who is filing this lawsuit... in fact, this lawsuit disgusts me. The Folsom High Music Program is one of the best in the country... and the Music Boosters are a big reason why.

I have never understood people who sue because "they can" - to me, it's one of the things that is wrong with America.

View Post

I get the impression that Open-minded wasn't referring to you, oh might webmaster, but rather was floating the names of the lady and her husband out there to shine some light on them. I sincerely hope this lady changes her mind on this... it's just appalling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users