159 replies to this topic

#1 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:59 AM

For those who didn't see it already; apparently this guy was a contracted teacher who no longer teaches at FHS.....thank goodness. This guy lived just down the street from me and my Senior FHS daughter....

Anyone have any insight on this?

http://www.sacbee.co...-14334434c.html

FOLSOM - A 34-year-old former Folsom High School English teacher was arrested Monday on suspicion of having sexual contact with a 16-year-old female student in April, authorities said.

Jason Douglas McEvoy was arrested at 3:15 p.m. in the 100 block of Briar-cliff Drive, police said.

The victim and her parents called police on Aug. 24, the department said.

McEvoy taught on a contract at Folsom High School the past school year, but it was not renewed for this fall, the department said.

McEvoy is being held in lieu of $55,000 bail in the Sacramento County jail.

Anyone with information about this case or any other possible victims should call (916) 930-1098.

#2 Brett911

Brett911

Hall Of Famer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:15 AM

see this from yesterday's Bee. contract cancelled? hmmmmm.....

http://www.sacbee.co...-14319926c.html

Private schooling: It's been a while since Jason McEvoy hasn't gone back to school this time of year. But it's not as if the credentialed 34-year-old has given up teaching.

Jason, who spent the past 2 1/2 years as a popular English teacher at Folsom High School, has started a private tutoring business for youngsters from elementary school through college.

I learned about Jason from reader-correspondent Debbie Tortorelli, who said the UC Davis grad worked wonders with her son Dean, who was a freshman last year.

Jason, who wasn't offered another contract at Folsom High, said he would have started the new business anyway: "I wanted to be my own boss."

A firm believer that reading, writing and speaking are the most important skills that youngsters can learn, Jason said he is trying to make his services affordable. Sessions, held at the Folsom Public Library, cost $30 an hour.

He specializes in reading, writing, vocabulary, study skills and practice for the SAT or any standardized tests. For more information, call Jason at (916) 220-2804. ...
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:25 AM

Saw this on the news last night. I was amazed that this occured back in April and took this long for action to occur.

My son is at FHS and my daughter will be going there in a couple of years. MORE news like this makes me very leary about the place - remember last year there was a rape on campus as well....this is disturbing info..

I hope they bust this guy to the full extent of the law, he abused the trust he had with this student and he will likely go after others, he needs to be in jail, he's a scum bag low life.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#4 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:27 AM

OH MY GOD!!! That is so wierd!!!

The SacBee touts this guy and his teaching of children the day before he's busted for (accused of....ok) having sexual contact with one of the students.

Someone better let Bob Walters know to follow up on this...... Just think, this guy is affordable and can teach all kinds of subjects.....English, writing, biology....

#5 Brett911

Brett911

Hall Of Famer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:42 AM

I think there are 3,000 students on campus. That's a lot of people. Things will happen when you have that many people in a single place. It's like a small city there.

let's do some math. say there are 10 incidents per year and the student / teacher population is around 3100 people. That's an incident rate of 0.32%.

Lets assume there's theft, vandalism and other incidents that we don't know about. Let's assume there are 200 of these events per year. That give us an incident rate of 6.45%.

Let's say things are outta control on campus and there are 500 incidents per year. That's a rate of 16.1%.

Statistically, the school is with what I would call "safe."

Here's Folsom rate index:
http://www.cityratin...Folsom&state=CA

total crimes = 1757
total population = 61889
incident rate = 2.84%
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

#6 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Aug 30 2005, 10:25 AM)

I hope they bust this guy to the full extent of the law, he abused the trust he had with this student and he will likely go after others, he needs to be in jail, he's a scum bag low life.

View Post

Really? Do you know him personally? Or do you assume to know he's a scumbag because he may have had a relationship with a student who was under the totally made-up age of of adulthood?

#7 dlutz

dlutz

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Aug 30 2005, 09:25 AM)
Saw this on the news last night.  I was amazed that this occured back in April and took this long for action to occur.

If you read more closely, Although the incident happened in April, the victim and her parents only reported it August 24th. The Folsom PD didn't sit on this very long at all.

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:24 AM

There are several reasons this may just now be coming to light. Oftentimes, victims are embarrassed or scared to report -- especially if they are somewhat "willing" participants at the time. It's possible the girl had regrets later, was too embarrassed to say anything, and saw yesterday's article -- worrying about this guy putting himself in situations in which he is alone with young students. Perhaps yesterday's story triggered her reporting her own incident.

If the teacher truly molested a student, he is a scumbag. Even if he thought she was a "willing" participant (and we don't yet know the details), he broke the law, broke the education code of ethics, and took advantage of her naivete. A 34 year old man isn't looking for a "meaningful relationship" with a teenage girl less than half his age. He's looking to get what he can get and the girl probably felt older (with him playing into that) and thought he really liked her. He's old enough to know better and did it anyway.

On top of that, he's now putting himself in a situation in which he has alone-time access to students of all ages (through his tutoring business). I don't believe this was coincidental or a desire to "be his own boss."

EDIT: Just saw the above post (which was posted while I was typing), which means the girl didn't see yesterday's article prior to reporting her incident. I do wonder whether she found out he was doing private tutoring prior to reporting...
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Aug 30 2005, 10:49 AM)
Really? Do you know him personally? Or do you assume to know he's a scumbag because he may have had a relationship with a student who was under the totally made-up age of of adulthood?

View Post

You don't have to know a person "personally" in order to conclude that he is a scumbag due to his actions. Child molesters can be very charismatic and otherwise upstanding citizens. Someone doesn't avoid "scumbag" status just because in the majority of his life he's otherwise good or appropriate. Yes, one despicable act does make him a scumbag.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#10 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Aug 30 2005, 10:49 AM)

View Post

I don't know him, but can tell you that he's INDEED a scumbag.
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#11 dailydos

dailydos

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Family, church, education, business, economics

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:52 AM

We don't even know if it really happened, yet....

People are VERY quick to point fingers here....
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
-- Thomas Jefferson

#12 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Aug 30 2005, 11:31 AM)
You don't have to know a person "personally" in order to conclude that he is a scumbag due to his actions. Child molesters can be very charismatic and otherwise upstanding citizens. Someone doesn't avoid "scumbag" status just because in the majority of his life he's otherwise good or appropriate. Yes, one despicable act does make him a scumbag.

View Post

Despicable? Really?

The point I am after is that 18 is such a stupid, arbitrary age. You know in some states the age of consent is 16. And you can get a driver's license at 16. You can get an abortion whenever you want without consent. You can buy a rifle and vote at 18, but you can't get a beer or a handgun until you're 21.

Calling him a child molester for possibly having a physical encounter with a 16 y.o. girl is, in my opinion, an exaggeration and a great example of this country's outright hypocrisy when it comes to sexual matters and the stark contrast between how we choose to protect our children from violence as opposed to how we choose to protect them from sex.

And, I'm not contesting that he most likely used a position of authority to make this happen, if it did indeed take place.

#13 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(dailydos @ Aug 30 2005, 11:52 AM)

View Post

Regardless, his image as a respectable teacher is tarnished
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#14 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(dailydos @ Aug 30 2005, 11:52 AM)

View Post

Yes, hold the pitchforks and torches. Let's not forget that this scumbag is innocent until proven scumbaggy.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#15 anonymous

anonymous

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:14 AM

How do we know this happened at all? Must we always always assume a complaint/accusation happened simply because it has been made? The PC voices are always throwing out the rhetoric to shame those that ask logical common sense based questions to explore possibilities of what may have happened.

None of us know what happened between these two people. If what happened is the way the paper and the legal channels report it, than its a tragedy and the teacher should and will have to pay his debt to society. If it was a consensual act it was still improper and illegal but that is still different than being predatorial and being labeled as a sex offender.

I know a teacher at FHS who has been lewdly propositioned by female students -one offering to "b... him for a better grade". Girls masturbating in the back of his class. Purposely flashing him while he's teaching. Snickering among each other about it. The list goes on. Reality is, many teenage girls at FHS and everywhere are sexually active, agressive and are having wanton unabashed sex....until Daddy finds out. Sometimes her only out is being a "victim' so Daddy doesn't have to be disappointed and take his head out of his arse.

I am NOT saying this is what happened with the teacher in this case but I believe it is a real possibility. If it was consensual, do you think she deserves to sue FHS and get $$$ from our already depleted School District because chances are that is what is coming next.

If you are accused of a sex crime, chances are you will be found guilty WHETHER THE FACTS SUPPORT it or not. These are the times we are living in - people, with good reason, are outraged over the high profile sickos that commit atrocities against children. There is no room in the system for discerning truth from fiction. It's too political an issue.

And what happened to innocent before proven guilty? Not more than 24 hours have passed and this man is a "scumbag" who deserves the worst fate.
The 'anonymous' poster has been disabled due to abuse of the account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users