133 replies to this topic

#1 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:48 AM

My young daughter and I ate at Grandma's Kitchen for lunch yesterday and had one of the worst food experiences I've had since living in Folsom....First, the name implies home cooked food that's wholesome and homemade....My daughter ordered a banana/p. butter sandwich and the waiter brought us a p. butter and bacon sandwhich...for a 6 year old!!!! Maybe Elvis would have enjoyed it, but my child didn't...Then, the waiter said he could have another one made...however, we had already waited 45 minutes and there were only 3 customers in the restaurant, yet over 10 employees standing around doing nothing...The waiter was inept and couldn't even tell me what was in the coleslaw that I inquired about....My food was a BLT...the bread soaked in butter before grilled...not like my grandma used to make....Also, there was some gross coleslaw served with raisins.....The staff are unprofessional and look like they just got out of prison....Facial hair on the men and the women dressed in sloppy jeans...Horrible experience....Also, the table was dirty....Don't even try the sweet-tea...Horribly sweet and tart....Not like the South at all....The owners need to be there to see how the staff just hangs out and the kitchen cook which we can view from our table looked stressed and couldn't expedite if his life depending upon it....45 minutes for a BLT and a bacon p. butter sandwich...Gross.....Not to mention over-priced....$7.00 for a small sandwich....

Edited by asbestoshills, 08 June 2006 - 07:51 AM.

Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#2 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Jun 8 2006, 08:48 AM) View Post

My young daughter and I ate at Grandma's Kitchen for lunch yesterday and had one of the worst food experiences I've had since living in Folsom....First, the name implies home cooked food that's wholesome and homemade....My daughter ordered a banana/p. butter sandwich and the waiter brought us a p. butter and bacon sandwhich...for a 6 year old!!!! Maybe Elvis would have enjoyed it, but my child didn't...Then, the waiter said he could have another one made...however, we had already waited 45 minutes and there were only 3 customers in the restaurant, yet over 10 employees standing around doing nothing...The waiter was inept and couldn't even tell me what was in the coleslaw that I inquired about....My food was a BLT...the bread soaked in butter before grilled...not like my grandma used to make....Also, there was some gross coleslaw served with raisins.....The staff are unprofessional and look like they just got out of prison....Facial hair on the men and the women dressed in sloppy jeans...Horrible experience....Also, the table was dirty....Don't even try the sweet-tea...Horribly sweet and tart....Not like the South at all....The owners need to be there to see how the staff just hangs out and the kitchen cook which we can view from our table looked stressed and couldn't expedite if his life depending upon it....45 minutes for a BLT and a bacon p. butter sandwich...Gross.....Not to mention over-priced....$7.00 for a small sandwich....

thanks for the post, i will check that one off my list of places. sun.gif
Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

#3 Roxy448

Roxy448

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

I must say, I went on Sunday with my husband and step-son and we weren't impressed to the point of caring whether or not we go back. The food was good, but not as good as some other places we already frequent like the Sutter Creek Grill. The french fries weren't appealing at all. The service wasn't specacular either. They will need to do better to stay in business.

#4 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(Roxy448 @ Jun 8 2006, 10:24 AM) View Post

I must say, I went on Sunday with my husband and step-son and we weren't impressed to the point of caring whether or not we go back. The food was good, but not as good as some other places we already frequent like the Sutter Creek Grill. The french fries weren't appealing at all. The service wasn't specacular either. They will need to do better to stay in business.

where is this place located?
Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

#5 r&rbyrne

r&rbyrne

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

All I can say is...bluch!

My husband and I went for a Sunday breakfast, first we had to go ask the servers who were standing around if we leave our name for a table (it turns out that the host is the owner's son in law), apparently the server can't take your name, you have to wait for the son in law to decide to.

When we were seated, we asked for orange juice and it's the kind out of the machine that tastes like it's pasteurized. I ordered the corncakes and my husband ordered the potato pancakes. Frankly, mine were basically buttermilk pancakes with canned corn mixed in. My husband said his potato pancakes tasted like a mix. We thought that maybe they needed to work the bugs out, and give them another try.

This week, I had some free time and decided to go there for another chance and stopped in for a late breakfast before going to work. I ordered the herb omelette - and basically it was a rubbery overcooked, over herbed omelette - a boatload of dried herbs and cheese, served with deep fried potatoes. The hash browns aren't even home fries - they're just deep fried potatoes that were previously frozen. Honestly, I had the urge to get up and go in the kitchen and show the cook how to make an omelette.

I have to say that the service was much better, mainly because uninspired son in law was not there.

If someone wants to call their restaurant Grandma's kitchen, they need to follow through from start to finish -prompt service, fresh juice, properly cooked, fresh food. A tiny overcooked chocolate chip cookie with your check does not do it for me.

#6 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:06 PM

sun.gif
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#7 futuremrs4

futuremrs4

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:41 PM

I had high hopes for this place too... I took my son and sister for lunch. I ordered the chili dog (only because I felt pressured to order) My sister ordered the hot turkey sandwich. She wanted pot roast but they only served it after 4pm. She asked if she could have mashed potatoes added to het hot turkey sandwich. To be honest it should have come that way. I got my son a pizza bagel, and we were curious so we split the bacon/pb sandwich.

The chili dog - fine, nothin special, obviously nothing homemade

The turkey Sandwich - HORRIBLE. I've had better at a hospital cafeteria. The turkey looked and tasted like the turkey slices you get in a budget gourmet tv dinner.

The pizza bagel...A bagel with pizza sauce and barely melted cheese...nothin special,my son wouldn't eat it.

Service was not great,but he was nice, butlots of excuses, and for some reason we got like 2 extra orders of fries ???

The tablecloth runner was dirty

The kids play area was was a nice idea but the toy was a doll house full of furniture that is a choking hazard for any kid 3 or under

Our bill For two adults and a one year old $37 !!!

We ended up going to La Bou afterwards.

I really doubt we will go back

I had high hopes, but they were dashed

#8 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

Wow...I have heard the same story from many people now. I believe that place will not be in business very long.....so now I look forward to seeing what will move in. Anyone been to the other place between Raleys and Blue Ravine? I can't recall the name of the place. Looks like some type of a grill/bar????

#9 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(futuremrs4 @ Jun 8 2006, 10:41 PM) View Post

I had high hopes for this place too... I took my son and sister for lunch. I ordered the chili dog (only because I felt pressured to order) My sister ordered the hot turkey sandwich. She wanted pot roast but they only served it after 4pm. She asked if she could have mashed potatoes added to het hot turkey sandwich. To be honest it should have come that way. I got my son a pizza bagel, and we were curious so we split the bacon/pb sandwich.

The chili dog - fine, nothin special, obviously nothing homemade

The turkey Sandwich - HORRIBLE. I've had better at a hospital cafeteria. The turkey looked and tasted like the turkey slices you get in a budget gourmet tv dinner.

The pizza bagel...A bagel with pizza sauce and barely melted cheese...nothin special,my son wouldn't eat it.

Service was not great,but he was nice, butlots of excuses, and for some reason we got like 2 extra orders of fries ???

The tablecloth runner was dirty

The kids play area was was a nice idea but the toy was a doll house full of furniture that is a choking hazard for any kid 3 or under

Our bill For two adults and a one year old $37 !!!

We ended up going to La Bou afterwards.

I really doubt we will go back

I had high hopes, but they were dashed

sounds like a good candidate for worst restaurant and worst customer service award..... thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:16 PM

sun.gif
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#11 FamilyMan

FamilyMan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

There's got to be a dead grandma joke in there somewhere.

Thank you all for saving my family $50.00+

#12 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(FamilyMan @ Jun 9 2006, 12:27 AM) View Post

There's got to be a dead grandma joke in there somewhere.

Here's a Grandma joke for you:

The family wheeled Grandma out on the lawn in her wheel chair where
the activity's for her 100th birthday were taking place. Grandma couldn't
talk very well but she could write notes fairly well when she needed to communicate.

After a short time out on the lawn Grandma started leaning off to the right and
some family members grabbed her and straightened her up and stuffed pillows on her right.

A short time later she started leaning off to her left and again the family grabbed her and
stuffed pillows on her left.

Soon she started leaning forward and the family members again grabbed her and tied a
pillow case around her waist to hold her up. A nephew who arrived late came running up
to Grandma, you're looking good, how are they treating you?"

Grandma took out her little notepad and slowly wrote a note to the nephew,
"They won't let me fart."

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#13 sharkysam1

sharkysam1

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:14 AM

Grandma's Kitchen should have waited to get their act together before opening. I think the premise is good, but it took me 19 minutes to get through the cashier line. The roast beef had a lot of fat in it, and when I commented to the cashier how long it took for me to get through the cashier line, the cashier just stated, "yeah we had a large group of people come through today" Not acceptable. When I pointed out that he could have just apologized, he did. But, when I was heading out the door, one of the younger employees gave me a very sarcastic "have a nice day dude". There are way too many other restaurants in Folsom to waste your time and money here. I wish these folks luck, but they had better turn up the quality and service level to above "5"

#14 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:17 AM

Go to the Gold Miner or Seasons on Sutter for breakfast folks.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#15 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:31 AM

Holy cow, every person here has had a negative experience...I bet restaurant owners hate this forum. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users