20 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

http://www.sacbee.co...-15161079c.html

He looks well qualified... this is great for the city.

#2 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:43 AM

Is South Lake Tahoe considered "thriving"? Sorry, haven't read the article yet, but SLT as a reference? Is that like.. "I was an accountant at Enron!"
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#3 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Aug 17 2006, 09:43 AM) View Post

Is South Lake Tahoe considered "thriving"? Sorry, haven't read the article yet, but SLT as a reference? Is that like.. "I was an accountant at Enron!"

Encinitas more than makes up for it; I love that town!

#4 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(john @ Aug 17 2006, 09:31 AM) View Post

Kudoos to the council for FINALLY selecting someone who has experience!

Hopefully they won't have too big of a hole to climb out of.

Again, congrats to our council members for selecting someone who has proven experience. This doesn't guarantee future successes....but at least they know what they are doing! The days of having someone way in over their heads and a council member misleading the public could soon be over!

#5 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Aug 17 2006, 10:17 AM) View Post

Encinitas more than makes up for it; I love that town!

If I ever win the lottery... I am definitely moving to that area! Just amazing!

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(DrKoz23 @ Aug 17 2006, 03:06 PM) View Post

If I ever win the lottery... I am definitely moving to that area! Just amazing!

Yep. Spent a week there this past June because that's as good as I can get. I'm with you on where to spend lottery winnings!

#7 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

Wasn't SLT where the eminent domain case that went to the Supreme Court originated? The one that said cities could condemn private property and turn it over to developers? Was that when Kerry Miller was there?
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#8 watstein

watstein

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:29 AM

I'm scared because if he is the man who planned most of S.Lake Tahoe we are definatly in for Traffic Nightmares.

#9 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE(john @ Aug 17 2006, 09:31 AM) View Post

He was my customer (computer systems) when he was at SLT. I remember him as a strong leader, good listener, and got things done. I think he will do good in Folsom.

#10 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:31 AM

He seems well qualified.
Usually if a person can work well in a business, they can excel at public service too.
Let's wish him good luck.
"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

#11 SoCalHommie

SoCalHommie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(UncleVinny @ Aug 22 2006, 08:31 AM) View Post

He seems well qualified.
Usually if a person can work well in a business, they can excel at public service too.
Let's wish him good luck.

Qualified is step one. Unfortunately, Miller forgot that when he appointed a number of underqualified department heads in Encinitas.

Miller is sharp and shrewd. He is very soothing and convincing. Very dangerous because people give him too much trust and slack. He knows what he is doing, but you won't until to late.

He was chased out of S. Lake Tahoe and they are still feeling the pain up there. Look into their redevelopment history.

Yes, Encinitas is one of the best places in the US to live. He is not leaving for personal reasons. He sees the blitz coming and is spiking the ball so he doesn't have a sack on his record.

If your council is run by big developers that don't care about the health and welfare of your City then they picked the right man.

check out http://leucadia.blogspot.com for the pulse of his current city.

#12 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

Interesting take from the San Diego media... and some of his accomplishments included in the article.

http://www.signonsan...mi18miller.html

#13 SoCalHommie

SoCalHommie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(DrKoz23 @ Aug 24 2006, 06:23 PM) View Post

Interesting take from the San Diego media... and some of his accomplishments included in the article.

http://www.signonsan...mi18miller.html

In the article you find Miller's list of accomplishments,

1) The acquisition of 43 acres south of Santa Fe Drive and west of Interstate 5 for what will become the city's largest park.

1R- But we paid too much for this toxic wastesite that might never be suitable for children to play on. The City tried to hide the contamination and plow the site under without an EIR. Hawkeyed neighbors cried foul and asked for a full EIR before moving forward any further. The City resisted. The neighbors had to pool money together and sue the City. That was not a nice time for many. The City thought they could outlast the neighbors. The City poored taxpayer money into fighting a lawsuit everyone knew they would loose. The suit made it all the way to a judgement. The judge has very bad things to say about the City of Encinitas' behavior and made the city pay everyone's legal fees with our taxmoney! The EIR is past due. Most people expect the EIR to not come out until after the election. Why would that be?

2) The construction of Leucadia Boulevard and Quail Gardens Drive, giving the city more thoroughfares to cope with a growing population.

2R-kinda cool, but Miller had little to do with that. It was planned before he got here. His staff somehow got the traffic projections wrong. The impacts of the associated development and road extension were not adequately dealt with. Poor execution and management.

3) The construction of the $7.8 million Encinitas Community and Senior Center, a fifth fire station, and the $6 million Cottonwood Creek Park on Vulcan Avenue.

3R- Fire station is cool. The community center came in way over budget. No biggie, there's always more taxes in the pot. Cottonwood creek park is pretty cool but they didn't adequately address the fact that the site use to be a disposal site. All the old timers knew and the city knew. Ignored.

4) An agreement with the state Parks and Recreation Department on joint maintenance of the city's beaches and accompanying parking lots.

4R- Cool.

5) A promise from North County Transit District to consult with the city when it double-tracks the railway in the future. NCTD is not required to take the city's needs into consideration.

5R- The City rolled over at the last minute and everyone thought we were on track to get a good deal. The promise is meaningless. They already double tracked.

6) Helping push for sand replenishment of the city's beaches as part of a regional beach nourishment project.

6R-That is cool, but the City's funds for sand come from TOT taxes. For some reason the City let the soon to be built biggest resort hotel go Condo-hotel for free. We don't think we get the TOT anymore. The developer is happy, Miller is happy, and citizens don't know what to think.

7) Requiring developers to consult residents on their projects.
7R-Developers have to tell neighbors what is about to happen before everything is far into the planning process. That has been good for developer and neighbors. So, this is something to be proud of.

It doesn't mean that the planning process has not been manipulated. It has.

#14 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

interesting comments from his home town. Sounds like they weren't big fans...

http://www.blogger.c...582532514003679

#15 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(john @ Aug 25 2006, 04:07 PM) View Post

interesting comments from his home town. Sounds like they weren't big fans...

http://www.blogger.c...582532514003679

"They" being approximately 10 people from a city of approximately 70,000?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users