27 replies to this topic

#1 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

Well, looks like on Aug 31 the only boat launch available will be Brown's Ravine, and the whole lake is going to have a 5mph speed limit for the rest of the year. All those pretty boats and no water to run them in. Tsk.

#2 Eeestll

Eeestll

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

So how does it work for us with our porta-bote that we can unfold and launch anywhere? We can still do it right?

#3 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(MikeinFolsom @ Aug 29 2007, 03:16 PM) View Post
Well, looks like on Aug 31 the only boat launch available will be Brown's Ravine, and the whole lake is going to have a 5mph speed limit for the rest of the year. All those pretty boats and no water to run them in. Tsk.

Now THAT is funny, in a karma kind of way. But, hey, "it looks great in the driveway".....Hehehe...
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#4 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

^^^^ FYI: Folsom Lake is not the only place near here where a boat can be used. Don't hate.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#5 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(SacKen @ Aug 29 2007, 04:07 PM) View Post
^^^^ FYI: Folsom Lake is not the only place near here where a boat can be used. Don't hate.

True, but it'll surely crowd-up the other places bigtime. I don't hate...I just "marvel" at the people who cashed-out some home equity to buy a boat, and all of a sudden, oops...Hey, more power to 'em. Wear your life preservers, folks.....Gonna be REAL crowded out there... lmaosmiley.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Aug 29 2007, 04:11 PM) View Post
True, but it'll surely crowd-up the other places bigtime. I don't hate...I just "marvel" at the people who cashed-out some home equity to buy a boat, and all of a sudden, oops...Hey, more power to 'em. Wear your life preservers, folks.....Gonna be REAL crowded out there... lmaosmiley.gif

Plenty of people have been boating well before the real estate boom. It's a great family activity, I spent many years of my life hanging out with my family on the water and being physically active. (Started waterskiing when I was seven, even before I could swim, but I had to catch-up with my much older sisters.) More power to them and I can't wait until we can comfortably afford a boat.

#7 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Aug 29 2007, 04:34 PM) View Post
Plenty of people have been boating well before the real estate boom. It's a great family activity, I spent many years of my life hanging out with my family on the water and being physically active. (Started waterskiing when I was seven, even before I could swim, but I had to catch-up with my much older sisters.) More power to them and I can't wait until we can comfortably afford a boat.

When it comes to a boat, I'm not sure afford is the right word. A willingness to pour money into the water is more accurate. Its fun, but it is definitely not any kind of investment. tongue.gif

#8 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

Dang...

I took a peek out at the lake this morning... saw it was like waaaaayyyyyy down...

I haven't seen it that low since like 91 or something... the whole lake then was a 5mp zone... god you'd be crazy to go any faster... might run your prop into an out cropping...

I've been boating for about 9 years now... there's always the River... lots of water there...

of course the "federalis" will be out there this weekend doing the 'BUI' thang....

I probably won't be able to get out on the river except maybe one or two more times before I have to just "shut it" down...

stinking global warming... goo-goo save the salmon and screw the boater crowd...they always drain the stinking lake when old EDF wants to enjoy it...

now what am I gonna do... sit back the back yard pool...? geez.. how boring... but I guess it will have to do...

Need a nice sweetie pie to come over and hang with me though....

#9 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

All the more reason to build the auburn dam
We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

How come the people who manage the lake STILL have not figured out how to manage it properly without turning it into a useless muddy pond every year?

are they that stupid or is there any kind of legitimate reason to drain the lake so freakin' low every year?

anyone wanna buy a 20foot bayliner?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#11 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Please forgive my ignorance, but aren't the citizens of Folsom getting their water from that lake?

If that is the case, it wouldn't surprise me that it's water level is low. After all, Folsom has grown and is still growing. With far more people than ten years ago, and all of them needing water, it stands to reason.....the lake is going to get smaller.

I think I heard something about other counties wanting some of the water from Folsom Lake, pumped to their area. Anybody hear anything like that?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

#12 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

I'm not an expert here...

but part of the reason I think it get's low is their term "reoperating" the dam... something about it being more for flood control than recreation....

maybe someone can bring us up to speed... we're lucky we had as much water as we did because we didn't squat for rain this last year... and the year before if you remember we got most of the rain in April and May vs the earlier spring months... and that gave us the extra we had left over for this year...

hey... next year we'll have some more water in it...

I haven't seen too many back to back drought years like this before...

#13 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(EDF @ Aug 29 2007, 04:42 PM) View Post
Dang...

now what am I gonna do... sit back the back yard pool...? geez.. how boring... but I guess it will have to do...

Need a nice sweetie pie to come over and hang with me though....

you need to jump on that other thread, missmelisa & doj girl are looking to meet for a mature responsible man.

#14 Suburban Pool Service

Suburban Pool Service

MyFolsom Pool Janitor

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Suburban Pool Service
    P.O. Box 1627
    Folsom, Ca 95763

Supplies /Weekly Service / Satisfaction

on the web at
    weservicepools.com

(916) 792-4836
    email service@suburbanpoolsupply.com

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:37 PM

I remember the days when I was much younger how much fun it was to go Four Wheeling out there when the lake water got really low. I’m sure they don’t let people drive out there any more, as a few times we had to camp out because a buddy or one of us got so stuck we had to wait for a bigger truck to come to get un stuck.

-Ryan

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

weservicepools.com

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(Suburban Pool Service @ Aug 29 2007, 08:37 PM) View Post
I remember the days when I was much younger how much fun it was to go Four Wheeling out there when the lake water got really low. I’m sure they don’t let people drive out there any more, as a few times we had to camp out because a buddy or one of us got so stuck we had to wait for a bigger truck to come to get un stuck.

-Ryan

Hehehe I remember those days too..... used to be fun and thank goodness there are other 4 wheeler's out there with winches and tow ropes

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users